PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well, this is a new experience for me. After sorting through my tobacco cabinet yesterday, I noticed what looked like some rust on the bottom of my SPC Mississippi River tin, (purchased in March 2017). So as a precaution I popped the tin to jar up the tobacco. From what I can see the tobacco is fine, it smokes and tastes fine, but the bottom of the tin had some tobacco stuck to it. Then I noticed 3 small holes in the tin. The tobacco on the bottom was a little drier than that on top which makes sense. I'm guessing the moisture from the tobacco just rusted the tin, but I don't see any obvious signs of rust on the inside. Very weird.

None of my other SPC tins have this on the bottom, nor do any of my other tins from other tobaccos. My cabinet is in my shop where the temperature is controlled, and there is no moisture. If you have any 8oz tins of SPC Mississippi River or other blends you may want to check them.

Attachments

• 20230227_134048.jpg
    20230227_134048.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230227_134058.jpg
    20230227_134058.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230227_122618.jpg
    20230227_122618.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 31
Aug 1, 2012
I've got a few with the beginning of rust spots. Makes sense to put them in mylar now. Others will poo-poo it but rust will ruin a tin pdq. It's not something to dismiss.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
You didn't notice those holes when you shelved it? I would have returned that the moment I inspected it and found damage.
I bought the tin in March 2017, and it was fine then, and I didn't notice anything several months ago when I moved my man-cave around and had to move my cabinet and tins. I think it's fairly recent as the tobacco isn't dried out, but the stuff on the bottom was just a little drier than the rest of the tin.

I don't think Smoking Pipes would have accepted a return just shy of 6 years after purchase. If they do, that's a heck of a return policy. ;)

Reactions: Razorback
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
The tin was fine when I purchased it 6 years ago, and was fine up until a few months ago. I guess it's possible there was a defect in the tin, and it finally degraded over time. It's just very weird.
Interesting. In the pictures, the holes look too round to be a random rust process. It may appear different in person. Looks more like rust is taking advantage of a defect. I have to trust what you are seeing.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Interesting. In the pictures, the holes look too round to be a random rust process. It may appear different in person. Looks more like rust is taking advantage of a defect. I have to trust what you are seeing.
The whole thing is just weird. Other than being taken out of the cabinet a few times over the years to shuffle through my cellar or when I've re-arranged my shop and taken the tobacco out of the cabinet; this tin has just sat in my cabinet. There hasn't been anything that would have punctured the tin or damaged it. Which would make sense, but is not the case here.

On the bottom (outside) it looks like the start of rust. On the bottom (inside) there is tobacco stuck to the bottom of the tin. The tobacco and the rust on the outside seem to match up, and the holes are where there was tobacco until I scrapped it off. Underneath the stuck tobacco its hard to tell if the rusting process has begun or if the tin is just dis-colored from the tobacco. It looks like rust though. I did notice a piece of gold fleck in the bottom of the tin, but it was long and didn't match up to any of the holes. The holes are all different sizes as well. I guess it's possible that when I scraped away the stuck tobacco it created the hole in the tin, but I think I would have seen small pieces of metal with the tobacco. I guess I'll find out later after smoking through the tobacco if there are any pieces of cake with metal stuck to it. LOL It's all very weird.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I still favor a manufacturing defect in the metal, such an @mingc suggests. The question is really a chicken and egg situation. Did the tobacco cause rusting and a hole, or did a defect cause the rusting and then tobacco to adhere?

Reactions: mingc