PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
In short, this is really good stuff, guys! I cracked open a relatively new 8oz tin and was whalloped by an amazing concentrated tin note! Aroma is right between a light English and a VA-Per. Lots of sour dark fruit, grass and a wee tiny little bit of smokiness peeking out. Based on the tin note, I expected this to be almost overwhelming in the flavor department. The krumble kake wasn't brownies, rather more ike 'Kit Kat' bar that are super easy to rub out. I let a bowl full dry for about 30-40 minutes and went outside into the hot, humid Florida night air. Lighting took 2-3 goes and then only one relight for the entire bowl. Burned a little hot at first, but after settling in, all was nice and cool for the rest of the smoke. I paired with a bourbon & water splash and iced tea & stevia. The combination of the bourbon and the MR was amazing. Something about the slight sweetness of the spirit and the well burning tobacco gave rise to a mild salty-sourness along with dark fruit, grass and very subtle bbq type smokiness. This pulsed throughout to nearly the end of the bowl. After finishing my bourbon, I switched to the tea. The salty-sourness ended and the rest of the journey was more of earthy hay, grass and a light uptick in the smoke. It was amazing how this blend interplayed so well off of the bourbon and how that combination gave way to the recognizable salty taste. Nothing less than sublime.
IMHO, this is a medium strength blend with taste & flavors being a bit more. As some have written in TR, this is more like a VaPer than an English, with the Virginias and Perique coming out quite well. I wasn't able to pick out the Orientals, but that means to me that they played nicely with the other tobaccos. Latakia is very light - way back in the background, but adds a lot in that role. There is no bite at all. I will be stocking up on this one - some of the best VA flavors I've run across.
I'll try with an Islay scotch next time to see where that leads.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Absolutely fantastic blend!
Opened a tin with 3 years on it, so good.
There will be more of this.
That's good to hear.

MR is good fresh. It's my kind of English where the Latakia does not dominate but rather, a team player.

Since I've only got 1 x 8oz tin [and unlikely to get more since the importing door was shut] I decided to put it deep into the 'cellar' while I've got plenty of other stuff to enjoy, thinking that it should age really well.

My tin has over 3 years on it. I'm looking at at least 5 years before I'll be tempted to pop it.

VegetableSpoons

Might Stick Around
Sep 3, 2021
Harford, Maryland
The combination of the bourbon and the MR was amazing.
I'm hoping the same can be said for the MR rum barrel aged! Seems like a blend that would pair perfectly with a dram of something tasty, I just haven't had the will to start a new tin of a latakia blend until the temperature goes down a few degrees.

Mr. Marsh

Lurker
Jan 10, 2022
Montana
I love M.R….bought a 2oz tin the other day.
opened her up and was punched in the face with a beautiful aroma.
I can’t stop smelling the tin.
Smokes beautifully.
Does anybody else get a very powerful sour/tart flavor?
newbie here, what tobacco makes the sour taste? I love it.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I love M.R….bought a 2oz tin the other day.
opened her up and was punched in the face with a beautiful aroma.
I can’t stop smelling the tin.
Smokes beautifully.
newbie here, what tobacco makes the sour taste? I love it.
I get the sour taste for sure. I'm guessing it's the Orientals that gives the sour taste. I'm a big fan of Mississippi River.

Wildlands

Might Stick Around
Jan 17, 2022
NC, USA
I love this blend. Just had a bowl of it this evening for the very first time and know it’s going to be in my rotation for a while. I definitely get the tart notes, along with an incredible sweetness I’m guessing comes from the Virginias.

Reactions: Mr. Marsh