PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but then again I don't have any higher expectations of a Pease blend than I do of a C&D labeled blend, as I know that they're made with the same tobaccos in the same building by the same people. I quite like several C&D blends personally. I've gotten big chunks and sticks in blends from several different manufacturers, I don't think it's a big deal.
I've certainly noticed in the last few years an uptick in stems in tins by all companies. My understanding is it has more to do with how the leaf is harvested then blender. But then again that only makes sense to me because I don't know all that much about the agricultural end of tobacco.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I like big stems/ribs. It means you can see them and do as you see fit. If you can't see them, well, you can't use them (or toss them) in a manner of your choice. Lots of blends out there that if you really look close you'll see a large amount of shredded stem material.

I like to break those pieces up until they are about the diameter of the bottom of the pipe bowl, and pack the rest of my bowl on top. It's like an unnecessary extra hedge against dottle/plugging/moisture build up.

I've certainly noticed in the last few years an uptick in stems in tins by all companies. My understanding is it has more to do with how the leaf is harvested then blender. But then again that only makes sense to me because I don't know all that much about the agricultural end of tobacco.
The farmer/harvester ships the leaf whole to the tobacconist. It is 100% on them.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Definitely find more stems in C&D products. I don't buy many of them, so not sure whether it's my luck or something affecting their whole catalog.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
The farmer/harvester ships the leaf whole to the tobacconist. It is 100% on them.
damn it who ever told me that machine harvesting gets us stems in our tins. So basically it's probably always been like that. I just smoke enough to notice. I mean I noticed it with rolling tobacco even though for a while most pouches bragged about no stems. I mean used to smoke a few pouches of that stuff a week and would usually have two or three pipes fulls a week not a day.
I am extra glad I used the caveat in my first statement.

damn it who ever told me that machine harvesting gets us stems in our tins. So basically it's probably always been like that. I just smoke enough to notice. I mean I noticed it with rolling tobacco even though for a while most pouches bragged about no stems. I mean used to smoke a few pouches of that stuff a week and would usually have two or three pipes fulls a week not a day.
Yeh, if the farmers went as far as shredding the leaf, that wouldn't leave the blenders any room to make plugs, twists, or even determine the type of cut on the leaf that they want.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
You've got plant stems and leaf stems. The harvesting equipment could be a little aggressive and you end up with plant stems in with the leaf, but what we see, especially in C&D tins, are leaf stems. Most tobacco manufacturers rip the leaf stems off, but some get missed during processing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Yeh, if the farmers went as far as shredding the leaf, that wouldn't leave the blenders any room to make plugs, twists, or even determine the type of cut on the leaf that they want.
You've got plant stems and leaf stems. The harvesting equipment could be a little aggressive and you end up with plant stems in with the leaf, but what we see, especially in C&D tins, are leaf stems. Most tobacco manufacturers rip the leaf stems off, but some get missed during processing.
No matter what it's a lot better then bits of bone shards in meat. Now that's just blah and gross.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
You've got plant stems and leaf stems. The harvesting equipment could be a little aggressive and you end up with plant stems in with the leaf,
Wait now, I have been to many, many farm equipment auctions, and I have even driven combines, and have seen just about every piece of modern tobacco farming equipment available in the US. But, are you suggesting that there is a harvester for tobacco that shreds the tobacco before the plant has even been cured? That's not even possible. I hope that I am just misunderstanding you, and if so, I apologize. But, what do you mean?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Wait now, I have been to many, many farm equipment auctions, and I have even driven combines, and have seen just about every piece of modern tobacco farming equipment available in the US. But, are you suggesting that there is a harvester for tobacco that shreds the tobacco before the plant has even been cured? That's not even possible. I hope that I am just misunderstanding you, and if so, I apologize. But, what do you mean?
Yes, you are misunderstanding. I was referring to the harvest of tobacco from the field.

Yes, you are misunderstanding. I was referring to the harvest of tobacco from the field.
Well... then I am still misunderstanding. From the field the stalks of tobacco are taken to a barn (if burley based) or a flue curing compartment (if a Virginia), and cured. Then the leaf is separated whole and stacked to be graded. When the tobacconist gets it, it should be stacked, whole leaves. How does harvesting put extra stuff in the tobacco? It had to have been processed several times before the tobacco was cured, and then probably several more times.
I think that what you've heard is that the reason there are fewer high grade wrapper leaves for twists and cigars is because of the equipment making the leaves a little more ragged, and that is true. The best grades of wrapper are hand picked, but trying get any sort of volume by hand these days is hard.

Reactions: anotherbob

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Well... then I am still misunderstanding. From the field the stalks of tobacco are taken to a barn (if burley based) or a flue curing compartment (if a Virginia), and cured. Then the leaf is separated whole and stacked to be graded. When the tobacconist gets it, it should be stacked, whole leaves. How does harvesting put extra stuff in the tobacco? It had to have been processed several times before the tobacco was cured, and then probably several more times.
I think that what you've heard is that the reason there are fewer high grade wrapper leaves for twists and cigars is because of the equipment making the leaves a little more ragged, and that is true. The best grades of wrapper are hand picked, but trying get any sort of volume by hand these days is hard.
Just talking about plant stems vs leaf stems and them being stuck to the leaf. No need to overthink it.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Hey! If we’re tossing out a C&D wishlist…. Make a Rustica/perique blend. Or, make a cigar blend, dark, deep, exhaust smoke, dripping axle grease, … just a little something that’ll kick my ass. But hey! Sorry, I started daydreaming. Ha ha! Oh yeh…. leave little bits of twine, ribs, and barbwire in it.
I think I just got pipegasmed, ha ha!!
Now I want your wish blend (the cigar blend). I believe Axle Grease would be the perfect name.