Spain and Scotland pipe smokers--info needed!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Hello European smokers! I have a friend who is traveling to Barcelona and Scotland this month, and have asked him to pick up some tobaccos that are not available in the US. So, please let post what to have him look for, I am woefully ignorant of the subject.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
'Across the pond' is a pretty vast area, Scotland and Spain are but two small parts of it. ;)

The only thing I can think of are things like Samuel Gawith that's fairly hard to get by in the US but freely available here. I'm sure there are some "local" blends in Spain and Scotland but I don't know them, I'm from Sweden.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Send StrongIrish "Earl" a PM. He may be able to give you a few suggestions. He lives in the US but has mentioned on several occasions about smoking blends he has received from friends in the UK.
Nemrod suggesting you pick up some Samuel Gawith blends is a great idea.

drjones

Lurker
Jun 8, 2011
Hi, I'm from Spain. As far as I know there aren't many pipe tobaccos only available or produced here in Spain. What you can find is mostly european brands like Dunhill, Borkum Riff, Mac Baren, etc.

There are however a few spanish brands: Colonial Dan produces a few different mixtures, but I can't say if they're any good since I haven't tried any.

There's also Amsterdamer which was produced by Tabacalera (the spanish company that had the monopoly on tobacco in the country) until 1999 and now by Altadis. I have smoked it and, frankly, it's quite bad.

There are probably a few other "local" brands, but nothing to write home about.
Here you can find a list with all the available pipe tobaccos in the country (there are also hookah tobaccos, since under spanish law they are classified as pipe tobacco), maybe it helps:http://www.cmtabacos.es/wwwcmt/paginas/EN/mercadoPrecios.tmpl You must select "Mainland and Balearic Island", then "Pipe tobacco" and then click on "Consultar precios".

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
DrJones you get the gold star (estrella oro?) for effort! Thank you for a most complete response, it is very very much appreciated! I of course have scoured the InterWebs for this information, but your combination of anecdotal and referential data hit the mark, precisely. Muchas gracias, compagnero :worship:

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
There could be a few in Scotland, but if England is anything to go by then it'll mostly be Kendal or Peterson's. Neither of which are bad, Kendal does some wonderful aromatics. Other than that...I can't really say. It's probably worth adding some of the rarer Peterson's to the list, on the offchance, and any other common european makers that only have a limited stock in the US.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I've had good luck getting petersons here, but see that the gawith selection is extensive and..out of stock everywhere here :|

Good advices, cap'n, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.