PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy scanning through SP's estate pipes even when I'm not in the market for a pipe, for the pleasure of the variety and the historical aspect of some of the pipes. I've noticed lately, compared to two or three years ago, the average prices on estates are higher, averaging maybe $300, though you can still find an array of $70, $80, or $90 pipes. I assume this is a financial decision based on the cost of restoring, sanitizing, and writing up each pipe; more profit has to be made with higher market pipes to justify the expense of readying them to sell and carrying them in inventory. Has anyone else noticed this gradual shift? I'd speculate that the other lower-end priced pipes they received get resold at the store. Maybe they have an estate pipe basket?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Blue Room Briars have great looking estates at the lower price range almost always.
If I was starting out on my pipe buying journey, I could build up a rotation very quickly just from their lower priced selection.
So many temptations, except that I don't need any more pipes.

Disclosure: I don't have any affiliation with Blue Room Briars - just a satisfied customer

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Prices on SP’s estates have generally trended upwards in the past several years; but so have other vendor’s prices, and the market in general.

Average run of the mill estate pipes are still moderately priced, and offer good value. The SP estates have very few cosmetic issues.

SP is a high profile vendor, and their site gets a high volume of traffic.

Overall the interest and demand for good quality estate pipes has gone up in the past few years, and prices have followed.

Danish Pipe Shop usually has a lot of inventory on estates, and their prices have been trending upwards too.

If you don’t have to operate a segment of your business as a loss leader that’s a good thing…

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Blue Room Briars have great looking estates at the lower price range almost always.
If I was starting out on my pipe buying journey, I could build up a rotation very quickly just from their lower priced selection.

Disclosure: I don't have any affiliation with Blue Room Briars - just a satisfied customer

Agree 100%. I’m continually amazed at their ability to offer absolute gems in the sub $100 price range. I‘ve advised new members of my pipe club to follow exactly the strategy you mention and those that did are thrilled with the rotations they have been able to put together.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think for cheaper pipes why not sell it yourself it's not hard to find a buyer for a lower end pipe and the trade in value being lower makes it less worthwhile to trade. Now a high end pipe you might have to wait longer for a buyer and you'll get enough trade in value to go towards that next pipe.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA

Blue Room is another good estate vendor. It quite selection as some of the others, but they turn their inventory pretty regularly.

Their prices are pretty much in line with everybody else’s.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Casual, I saw that selection of Trypis pipes and considered them seriously. I'm glad to hear they are good smokers. I wanted a real Canada made pipe now that the big name has gone to Italy. About eight years ago here on Forums, there was a member who regularly sold Trypis pipes, two or three at a time, and I had some interest then. Among other things, Trypis did many good versions of acorn shapes. The finish is folksy, but I've gotten to like it, and I suspect it wears well, gets better with wear. I have so many pipes, I tend to pass by even pipes that have a lot of appeal. I want to keep the ninety-some I have smoked.

Reactions: Casual

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The finish is folksy, but I've gotten to like it, and I suspect it wears well, gets better with wear.

I got a number of those rusticated billiards. It took the rustication a while to warm to, but it is very grippy and shows no evidence after bumps or scrapes. That combined with comfortable bits, light weight, and a low price make mine great forest pipes.