PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've had a few sour pipes - one I had for years and left unsmoked, which ended up with a badly oxidised stem (externally as well as internally). No amount of cleaning helped. I had a new stem made for it.
A few others were estates which arrived looking very clean externally, but the mortises and stems were sewers that had never been cleaned in years. A lot of high proof alcohol, pipe cleaners and even more patience worked wonders.
Never had a blend that smoked sour.

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
So, quick update for all of you who replied. After a thorough cleaning of the pipe (only with water, no alcohol) the pipe seems more fine. Still the tobacco has a kind of weird taste, I'll be giving the pipe another round of cleaning this time with alcohol.

Reactions: OzPiper
You know, I've never heard anyone say anything positive about that Skandinavik Sungold tobacco... but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if chasingember and Brobs like it. I suggest maybe trying something else. Just give it a try. I'm sure your right about cleaning up the pipe, but I just hate to let it go unsaid that, that tobacco might not be top notch stuff.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You know, I've never heard anyone say anything positive about that Skandinavik Sungold tobacco... but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if chasingember and Brobs like it. I suggest maybe trying something else. Just give it a try. I'm sure your right about cleaning up the pipe, but I just hate to let it go unsaid that, that tobacco might not be top notch stuff.
true as in not once. It's not even like Captain Black Grape.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There is a nasty ghost you need to get rid of. Clean the pipe with Everclear which is 191 proof. You never get it on the pipe it is only for inside the pipe. I uses folder of bristle pipe cleaners, I only use BJ Longs. Once you have done that, I will soak a pipe cleaner and double it over like thee times so I can get the mortise clean. If this was a nasty ghost, I have the coffee grounds method. Stuff the the bowl and shank, weight 48 hours. If it doesn't work, try it again.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
I once owned a Ferndown with the nastiest ghost of sours past - one might have needed a priest to get it back in working order. Luckily, this chap was able to remedy the situation with his ozone machine:

Pipe is in great shape now

Reactions: glub and OzPiper

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
Sometimes it’s just the pipe. I had a pipe once that tasted like a dog terd from day one. I tried everything, and yet it just went on tasting like a terd.

I got a refund and tossed it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
but it keeps my pipes in very good shape.
I smoke pipes multiple times per day, often for weeks. Here's a pipe I was gifted by a teacher upon graduating high school in '92. I've never even had oxidation issues with it.

20200426_213446.jpg

Briar is very burn resistant and with minimal care will last for decades.

Reactions: ofafeather