PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stevec

Lurker
Apr 16, 2020
Hello. I'm relatively new to smoking a pipe. I find it great in so many ways but one thing I've noticed is that later on in a smoke I get a sour taste. I assume this is the flavour of the tar or nicotine? I am quite rigourous about cleaning my pipes but I still get that flavour. Am I doing something basically wrong or is it something I must put up with? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks

Reactions: hauntedmyst

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
The bottom layer of the tobacco basically acts as a filter, absorbing the tars, moisture, etc. Sometimes I can smoke almost all of the tobacco in a bowl, sometimes I can't. Bowl geometry, moisture content, cadence, time of day, mood, etc all have an effect on this as well. When the tobacco starts to taste bad I just dump it out. I'm typically satisfied by this point anyway. Bottom line, smoking a pipe is supposed to be enjoyable. When the smoke begins to taste acrid, wet or sour, just dump it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I agree you’re reaching the point in the tobacco with all the moisture in it. It’s probably packed down too tight at that point. As you smoke try tamping a lot less. You should only need to tamp a couple times.