PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find that picking up he ribbon to pack a pipe usually causes the powder to sift down to the bottom of the tin or jar until there's too little smokeable blend to sort. Some kind of a colander or sifter would probably work, but I've never felt the need for it. I'm thrifty but not compulsive about it.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Does anyone have a good method for sifting tobacco (ribbon) when you get near the bottom of a jar and there’s good ribbon combined with powdery stuff? Does a record sleeve work? ;)
This a new concept for me, but I'm guessing that a wire mesh strainer would work great.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
i would smoke it as is or dump it. i feel as if that dust will give a slight nic boast so why not, and more so futzing over a tiny amount of tobacco is treating it too preciously for me. but if you pinch it like a normal pack job and gently shake the pinch pre insertion it will get rid of the majority of the dust.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Does anyone have a good method for sifting tobacco (ribbon) when you get near the bottom of a jar and there’s good ribbon combined with powdery stuff? Does a record sleeve work? ;)
Think few will get the reference.

not sure why you’d sift it, any actual particular reason? If I’m smoking say OGS i pull some out to dry and usually tip the jar upside down with my fingers blocking the large particles and let the smaller stuff fall in the bowl, it’s usually already the dry part so i top the load with that as a kindling. YMMV

Reactions: romaso

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I use the shake at the bottom of my Star of the East Flake jar to spice up some of my tamer English blends if I'm feeling saucy.

Reactions: kschatey

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Jiggle the jar, the larger stuff will ride to the surface.
This is what I’ve been doing. It only seems to be necessary for me with OJK. For some reason I just get a more enjoyable, better burning bowl without the finer stuff, some of which inevitably gets through.

This did come up once before and someone pointed out I should just dump it because it’s only about fifty cents worth of tobacco, which is true. Of course if I don’t dump it it collects and next thing it’s $1.50 worth!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is what I’ve been doing. It only seems to be necessary for me with OJK. For some reason I just get a more enjoyable, better burning bowl without the finer stuff, some of which inevitably gets through.

This did come up once before and someone pointed out I should just dump it because it’s only about fifty cents worth of tobacco, which is true. Of course if I don’t dump it it collects and next thing it’s $1.50 worth!
Waste not, want not. 👍

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
When I get to the bottom few smokes I dump the whole amount out and mix the ribbon with the shake. I smoke these bowls in a cob with a filter to block the shake from coming through

Reactions: vosBghos