PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
There are pipes that I'm not a fan of, like most freehands, but I get it. And, not everyone is a fan of the stuff I like, that's ok, I get it.
However, I just don't get this pipe at all. It's a $650 pipe for crying out loud, that looks like children's blocks glued together. How much skill could this have possibly taken to make?
Is there anyone on the forum who actually likes this pipe and could see someone paying $650 for it?
002-560-0105.jpg

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
As a conversation peice it's pretty interesting. Being a relativly young man this pipe reminds me a lot of Legos and I'm pretty sure thats what draws me to it.
Where you see a hodge podge of things, I see a delightful nod to happy childhood memories.
For a few hundred I'm probably pick it up, but not at its listed price.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like one of Werner Mummert's pieces. He does do some pretty out there stuff, though he does make a reverse calabash barrel that I would love to have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1W6irNkqGc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I understand there is a certain level of artistry. But the amount of skill required in making it is really low. If I wanted a pipe like that, I'd make it myself.
So no, I don't get it.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Some art, like some pipes, can be difficult to appreciate. However, not all things are done to be appreciated.
Would I buy this pipe? No. I like a little crazy in a pipe but not a lot.
Would you spend between $20 million and $100 million on this? It is 2x5 metres.

Blue_Poles_%28Jackson_Pollock_painting%29.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Would you spend between $20 million and $100 million on this? It is 2x5 metres.
I will never have that kind of money, but I do like Jackson Pollack's work, and do understand his place, and Abstact Expression's in art history.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good points. If it's "art" value can be anything. I'd rather have the above pipe for a few thou rather than a Jackson Pollack for a few mill. However, neither are within my actual druthers.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I do not care for the looks of that pipe at all, and paying $650 for any pipe is a bit out of my comfort zone. I think the highest I could justify would be $500, tops. And for me, that's a lot of birthday money to save up.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
+1 Catyrpelius
I agree. I'm not 100% on the color scheme or price but it is interesting at the very least. I like it in the same way that I like Mummert's Lego Pipe, although not nearly as much. Sometimes the unconventional can be a reflection of something special.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Judging Werner by the fact you don't like how he channels his talent is a bit absurd. It is not glued together but carved that way. Werner is capable of creating any pipe shape he wants. He uses these skills in interesting ways and his fans purchase the pipes. If you think you can do better, feel free to try but don't be surprised when "making it look easy" isn't the same as it actually being easy or when pipe collectors do not place your attempts on par with his. Could you have brought cubist inspiration into a pipe? Perhaps but you did not and Werner did, successfully. I like Werner's cubist pipes and obviously they sell because I have seen dozens of them sell. They are not for everyone but what a boring world it would be if Werner and other artists only made standard pipe shapes and finishes. I'd buy one except I am saving for one of his brightly colored Rhodesians.

Status
Not open for further replies.