PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I posted a thread when we got our new Ball Python, who we named Sophie. Our daughter wanted one, so we surprised her for her birthday.

3 years ago.
IMG_20181230_190655.jpg

And a few days ago.

PXL_20211003_201328829.jpg

It's funny too. A few years ago we had to look for a short term rental. We had to answer all their questions about pets. We had 3 rats, (friends not food) 2 dogs, and a ball python.

They turned us down because of the snake. No, not the carpet pooping, wall scratching dogs or the smelly rats....

They wouldn't let us rent because of our snake, the one that barely ever leaves her cage ( once a week or so to play and feed) and she's the most well behaved pet we've ever had.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I posted a thread when we got our new Ball Python, who we named Sophie. Our daughter wanted one, so we surprised her for her birthday.

3 years ago.
View attachment 103651

And a few days ago.

View attachment 103654

It's funny too. A few years ago we had to look for a short term rental. We had to answer all their questions about pets. We had 3 rats, (friends not food) 2 dogs, and a ball python.

They turned us down because of the snake. No, not the carpet pooping, wall scratching dogs or the smelly rats....

They wouldn't let us rent because of our snake, the one that barely ever leaves her cage ( once a week or so to play and feed) and she's the most well behaved pet we've ever had.
Wow, just wow. I can't imagine waking up in the morning with a snake sleeping on top of me .

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People don't know much about snakes, and their visual aspect is alarming to those who don't know what they're looking at. On my side of town, a highly venomous snake (sorry I don't remember the species, I think one of the cobras) got loose and had the neighborhood in a terror, and brought in all the snake experts to hunt for it. It was finally found, and captured unharmed, with no people bitten, and now the city council is coming up with new statutes on venomous snakes. That is a very handsome python. She seems pretty calm. I wonder if those stories about the anaconda in the everglades, supposedly discarded pets, are true. They are many feet long, more than a foot in diameter, and can eat deer and the occasional human. And I don't think that's just legend.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
People don't know much about snakes, and their visual aspect is alarming to those who don't know what they're looking at. On my side of town, a highly venomous snake (sorry I don't remember the species, I think one of the cobras) got loose and had the neighborhood in a terror, and brought in all the snake experts to hunt for it. It was finally found, and captured unharmed, with no people bitten, and now the city council is coming up with new statutes on venomous snakes. That is a very handsome python. She seems pretty calm. I wonder if those stories about the anaconda in the everglades, supposedly discarded pets, are true. They are many feet long, more than a foot in diameter, and can eat deer and the occasional human. And I don't think that's just legend.
Yes, it was a cobra. I remember the news....

Reactions: JOHN72
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Anancondas are not likely to be kept for pets. The big issue in Florida are the Burmese Pythons and the Reticulated Pythons. The retic hold the record for the largest snake, with the ananconda coming in second.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes those snakes get huge!

Ball pythons live up to 20ish years, and can get up to 4-5 feet. So not nearly as big as some of the reticulated, and Burmese pythons!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bigger than an anaconda. That is a depressing thought. Maybe they eat Jeeps for dessert.

• Haha
Reactions: Toast

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Update:

She hasn't gotten much longer, maybe 8 inches or so since the last picture on here. I think she's about done growing for the most part.

5 years old. Another 20-25 to go!
(Girl-10 Snake-5)

And yes, sophie was just chilling resting her head like that on my daughters arm, long enough for me to put everything down, get my phone unlocked, and take the picture haha.
PXL_20230925_003720096.MP.jpg