PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
The taste of the wrapper. I've been ignoring my cigars for a while now, and I noticed how much flavor I got from the wrapper when I smoked one yesterday.

That's why I love both cigars and pipes, and I don't think I could ever truly give one up willingly. The experiences are both too unique to compare them.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Been a cigar smoker for over 15 years and been a pipe smoker for 3 years this spring. Definitely a time and place for both. Cigars are great when I want to light up and smoke away without a second thought, especially when company is over. Pipes I'm always having to fiddle with and I still haven't found a pipe blend that could match the flavors of a Por Larrañaga or Arturo Fuente.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I love both.
I find a good cigar is very soothing and really relaxes me. It's all that good Lady N at work, I suppose.
I started getting more into cigars back in 2014 and have smoked them regularly since. Not so much over the winter but, during the rest of the year, I will enjoy a couple of cigars every week, when I really have time to sit down and enjoy all of it.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
In my short way with pipe tobacco, a few years, but several decades smoking cigars, to this day, I could not choose between one and the other. I love both. It would be like choosing between wine, whiskey or brandy. As they say here, everyone has their own right time.

Last edited:

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
One difference I find really interesting is with pipe tobacco there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on where the tobacco is grown unless it's a special regional one like Perique or Latakia. With cigars what place they're grown is everything, as is where the seeds originate. Tasting notes are far more straight forward with pipe tobacco as well, it's simple stuff like "Virginias are grassy" and "Burleys are nutty". Cigars are marketed with having countless extremely specific tasting notes I'm honestly skeptical of. For example I can taste spice in a Nicaraguan cigar, but some guys will say one tastes like black pepper while another tastes like white pepper.