PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
With a lot of members on this forum going on about aged tobacco, thought I'd share a photo of some aged tobacco. Along with a new pipe (blakemar cutty) & a fresh pint of ale.

All made in England.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Wow! That's making my mouth water!........... looks like a classic English good time. Throw in some Faggots, Pease Porridge, and some Spotted Dick and its Heaven on Earth!!............ :D

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
How about an old IRC Pickaxe and a relatively new blend (to me) H&H Marquee Cerberus
imag0313-600x336.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Nah, not even in the same league there pagan. Although 'Paulaner' is a decent drop, I'll give you that.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@beefeater33, don't won't to come across as a dick, but it's 'peas pudding'. No Englishman in his right mind would put peas in his porridge. As strange as our tastes seem to a lot of people.

Poor misguided fools!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
but it's 'peas pudding'. No Englishman in his right mind would put peas in his porridge
Agh, yes- my mistake!! :oops: Its been a few decades since I've thought of 'peas pudding.

My grandmum was from Sheffield..... as kids we always got a chuckle out of the names of the foods she prepared, but that woman could COOK!! Her Yorkshire pudding was the best, scrummy stuff, that!.......... (how'd I do?)........ :mrgreen:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Beefeater33, you done good son, you done good. My old gran God bless her made the best Yorkshire pudding as well. Flat & crispy with treacle, beautiful.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks Simong!! Now back to that tobacco above- have you smoked any of that older Capstan? I've had the new stuff and find it a great smoke, is it "close" to the original??

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I got to liking German Pils when I was stationed in Germany, when I found a store at home that sells Paulaner I was overjoyed :mrgreen:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@beefeater33, I'm a big fan of the new mcbaren capstan as well. The biggest difference is with the original, the flakes are a lot thicker. Too difficult to fold & stuff, which is what I do with the new capstan. Also they are a lot darker, & a tad stronger. The taste is more or less the same. The best is I've still got one unopened tin of the original, which I'm saving for Christmas.

Regards, Simon.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Simon, Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' is my favourite beer of all time! I first had it at the Sheffield CAMRA beer festival circa 1980. Last had it in the Star & Garter in Falmouth a couple of years ago when it was a guest ale.
Now supping on an Adnam's 'Broadside' and very nice it is too, working a treat with some Dunghill Flake in an old no name estate I found earlier behind the sofa :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
You've gone two whole years without a pint of timmys? You poor sod! They sell it morrisons now, 4 for £6. And 'Boltmaker' by Taylor's as well. You probably know that already,being a Yorkshireman!

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I love Paulaner, though I prefer Salvatore Doppelbock. I have never tried Timothy Taylor, but I'd like to.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Simon, I'm afraid to say I'm not familiar with their 'Boltmaker's' but the nearest thing I can get to 'Landlord' around here is St. Austell Brewery's 'Proper Job' which is a very heavily hopped 5.5% pale ale. Four for a fiver at Asda! A great ale for a hot summer day...if you can remember those.
Another great one is Shepherd Neame's India Pale Ale, 6.2% and again, four for a fiver :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.