PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Many of you gentlemen partial to a pinch of snuff? Never seems to get a mention much on here. Up until now, I've only really used Hedges. Recieved a selection today to get stuck into over the weekend. So far, St. Bruno in my pipe & Irish Toast up the Scnozz seems to be a winning combination. Any recommendations from you chaps?
image.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
A couple of months ago I tried some Dry Scotch Snuff that my local grocer carries. I’ve had it in the past and really enjoyed it. However, this time around it gave me a major sinus infection. I threw it away and not sure I’ll ever revisit.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and simong

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sprinkle some of that there snuff over your pipe tobacco and light up!

Snuff makes me congested so unfortunately I don’t do it as often as I would like to.

Come to think of it, I still have a can of the snuff you sent me back in 2016/2017.

These are all I have left.
16EEB0C9-1E2A-4F04-B136-0573D9BD9F75.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72 and simong

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I like snuff on occasion. My favorites are both from Fribourg and Treyer - Old Paris as well as Santo Domingo. I also like Silver Dollar Scotch. I have not tried all that many, but those are my favorites so far.

I like to snuff a pinch while drinking bourbon or scotch, as I find that a pipe and hard liquor don't always mix well for me. The liquor tends to leave the tongue vulnerable to tongue burn etc. I do sometimes have a pipe and a whisk(e)y but I'm always cautions to smoke especially slow and gentle.

This one is not as much an issue for me, as I am only a very occasional hunter, but snuff is great on a hunt. You get some good baccy enjoyment without any risk of scaring off your game.

Reactions: simong and JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've got a sensitive schnoz, so I leave snuff alone. The journalist P.J. O'Roark had did snuff for a while, so I've heard. In the 18th Century, snuff was so popular, there is a whole art form of snuff boxes that are now museum pieces, in silver, gold, and bejeweled.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I do enjoy a snoot full of the Bernard Schmalzlers. Wholesome goodness chocked full of vitamins and minerals a growing boy like me needs.

Reactions: simong and JOHN72

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I like the Sir Walter Scott's 'Auld Alliance', it has a really nice tobacco flavor.

It doesn't come bone dry like most snuffs. There is a bit of humidity in it.

Reactions: simong

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had a huge problem with my sinuses some years back that required a 4hour operation. Definitely no way do I want to revisit that scenario, so a NO to doing snuff.

I did try snuff many, many years ago while I was at university (you try out a lot of things while at univerity ?) but I don't think I liked it enough to persevere.

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
In the 18th Century, snuff was so popular, there is a whole art form of snuff boxes that are now museum pieces, in silver, gold, and bejeweled.
Not sure if snuff was popular in the Orient. I've seen beautiful Chinese glass snuff bottles with exquisite paintings on the INside of the bottles but I wonder if they were made as export ware, as were a lot of Chinese crockery and vases.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
So, my grandma used to 'dip' snuff, in her cheek. Is that the same stuff? Gotta say, snorting powder tobacco seems like it might be really unpleasant!