PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
A while ago I was discussing how I felt the pipe was the best and safest way to enjoy the tobacco plant and one of their friends whom I do not know entered the discussion. She complained that her husband was a heavy smoker and trying to quite but was quite a bear about it. Apparently he had tried vaping and found it hurting his tongue. I sent her a cob, pipe nail, matches and a selection of tobacco including some heavier N blends. I knew this was a risk and he might simply not like the pipe but today I got a message thanking me and stating he had been off the sticks for a month. I in no way wish to toot my own horn, it's just nice to see someone set down the cigs and find a way to enjoy the tobacco plant that both he and his wife feel better about. Does anyone know of any pipe clubs in the Ocala, Florida area? I'd love to get him connected to some smokers in his area.

Mar 1, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if this couldn't be presented to government in a convincing way.
Pipes have a high success rate in helping people quit cigarettes, therefore pipe smoking should be encouraged.

Of course taxing everything to death probably sounds much better to them, but at least if we have legions of people saying that pipes have improved their lives it might help public perception.

(un)Fortunately most of the people I know have had reasonable success going cold turkey, so after that point I can't really go and introduce pipes with putting them at risk of a relapse.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Man, I would love to see people handed a pipe instead of nicotine gum or those vape machines. As appealing as the mental image of a doctor handing his patient a Missouri Meerschaum is, I agree it would be a very hard sell these days. I think it would make for a great Norman Rockwellesque painting though. :wink: I agree and tread lightly when dealing with anyone who has managed to quite as well though, for the same reasons. As much as I believe in agency, I would feel terrible if my giving someone a pipe resulted in them picking back up cigarettes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That is a great story. To anyone sensible, it is obvious that pipes/cigars are preferable to cigarettes for many reasons. However, public opinion only wants a boogey man to bash and a reason to collect cash, so that's a hard sell. I think it's worth compiling a bunch of stories of this type however, if possible, and putting them into an article...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
daimyo, I don't know of any pipe clubs, or even pipe tobacco vendors, although there is a store on Hwy 40 that has a few codger blends in tubs for around $60.00. Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Captain Black.

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
Great move daimyo. Way to spread the piping cheer and helping a fellow quit the nails for good.
However, I'm not going to go as far as positioning pipe smoking as the next vape wave. I'd rather keep pipe tobacco where it's at in cost. Living in Minnesota, the "sin tax" is high enough as it is and my TAD could not muster a penny more. To the cellar I go.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm not going to go as far as positioning pipe smoking as the next vape wave. I'd rather keep pipe tobacco where it's at in cost. Living in Minnesota, the "sin tax" is high enough as it is and my TAD could not muster a penny more.
Tobacco taxes are insane, and it seems to me they victimize innocents including those already financially strapped. It's fear of rising taxes, however, that drives much of the cellaring impulse (besides simply wanting to be surrounded by tasty tobacco, in addition to some hoarding instincts).
I write this as a known and out-of-the-closet book hoarder.

Status
Not open for further replies.