PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Awesome! I love spicy stuff, I go through multiple bottles of hot sauce every week. I do have some "Ass Blaster" brand hot sauce that has lasted a while though, it has capsaicin extract and is maliciously spicy. That Calabrian pepper paste looks pretty tasty!
That Calabrian paste really does look wonderful. I like spicy foods, but generally punk out when the heat goes from regular hot to extreme. I have a pretty normal selection of hot sauces for a Californian, I think. Tapatio, El Yucateco, and some Tabasco. I don't have any right now, but I fell in love with this carrot/habanero-based, Belizean sauce called Marie Sharp's while traveling in Guatemala years ago. It's excellent.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't mess with the pure pepper stuff but it's a fantastic ingredient in a sauce.

I don't do much hot anything since my stomach surgery but I keep this stuff on hand and use a little for certain things. The only other "hot" sauces I allow myself are Valentina which is mild, has a nice vinegary tang, and is versatile (great on tuna) and also regular Tobasco but that's only for oysters.
Valentina is good! When you use it on tuna, are you talking about canned tuna, or fresh fish? On my diet, I eat a lot of canned tuna, so I would be curious to hear how you do it, as I get tired of Mayo-Mustard-Sweet Pickle-Onion tuna salad.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I’m Mexican and love hot and spicy. However a few years ago I choked on a Serrano pepper. It caused a my vocal cords to collapse over my throat. I couldn’t breathe for a few seconds. There is a medical term for this. Now I can not eat anything remotely hot or spicy. I have tried and even red chili’s will make my throat spasm. It’s scary but not life threatening. I miss my hot spicy food but it’s just not worth it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a restaurant in NJ that has a couple of Mexican staffers. They would routinely test me with hot chili peppers they brought back. One time they had this bag of little tiny peppers and in Spanish,were trying to tell me they were ghost peppers. I didn't understand completely and took a bite. I should have known when my fingers burned a little handling it. I bit into the pepper and immediately knew I was in deep trouble, and spit out the piece. Too late. I tried milk, to no avail, I just had to suffer through it. That experience from one tiny nibble shot heat straight into my stomach. I almost passed out. I had to leave the store and somehow managed to drive to my hotel room. I was sick until morning, even with milk. Never again.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Valentina is good! When you use it on tuna, are you talking about canned tuna, or fresh fish? On my diet, I eat a lot of canned tuna, so I would be curious to hear how you do it, as I get tired of Mayo-Mustard-Sweet Pickle-Onion tuna salad.
Ah the beauty of tuna and Valentina!

Unless I'm specifically getting high quality tuna that can be served as sashimi, or at least seared sashimi, all of the tuna I eat is of the pouch variety:

GUEST_b3d78327-8788-4e7f-aed7-5e70c3405051

The pouches taste much better than the cans but be sure to check the country of origin on the pouches. I was regularly getting pouches that said Ecuador which were really good. Then I started getting some that said Senegal which tasted overcooked and a lot like the cans. No sense in paying more (the pouches are $1 each) if it tastes the same.

The nice thing about tuna is changing up the recipe. Sweet relish vs dill relish, add eggs vs no eggs, etc.

My current favorite is how my wife's preparation. (She's from Mexico.) She gets mayo from the Latin section at the grocery store and it has a touch of lime in it:

Mayo.jpg

Then it's a simple mix of tuna, mayo, cilantro, and onions but the real magic is the mix is spread on tostadas! Drip your desired amount of Valentina sauce and enjoy! You should have something that looks like this (ignore the Tapatio bottle, only pic I could find):

tapatio.jpg

BTW, if you weren't aware, Valentina has an extra hot version:

GUEST_ba3406d1-3762-47ed-938f-fa3e3e312720

Need to be very careful with unknown peppers!

A long long time ago - I knew about but have not seen Habernaro. My wife had neither seen nor heard about it, and thinking it it be some sort of sweet pepper, she cooked a dish entirely of it. Not bad, but it was fun!

I have a restaurant in NJ that has a couple of Mexican staffers. They would routinely test me with hot chili peppers they brought back. One time they had this bag of little tiny peppers and in Spanish,were trying to tell me they were ghost peppers. I didn't understand completely and took a bite. I should have known when my fingers burned a little handling it. I bit into the pepper and immediately knew I was in deep trouble, and spit out the piece. Too late. I tried milk, to no avail, I just had to suffer through it. That experience from one tiny nibble shot heat straight into my stomach. I almost passed out. I had to leave the store and somehow managed to drive to my hotel room. I was sick until morning, even with milk. Never again.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Perhaps because it's been an exceptionally .... tedious year, with somewhat limited social contact, but I've been eating more pepper sauce and spicy food than usual.

I've been enjoying this Períque pepper sauce considerably, especially the milder one which has remarkable depth of flavor.

The obvious reference to perique in the name is interesting as these two bottles of sauce were a surprise gift which arrived in a box of old Percy Martin farms perique jars, the famed "Jewel of St. James" perique. I haven't quite been able to get the information out of him via email, but the pepper sauce and the perique are both from a gentleman named Matt Nichols, who had some relation to Jansen's pipe shop in New Orleans, and Mr. Nichols was one of the individuals that helped "rescue" perique tobacco apparently.

IMG_20201222_085442.jpg
IMG_20201222_085502.jpg

I’m a heat lightweight, but I love cooking with the more flavorful peppers. I grow Anaheim, serrano, pablanos (and dry most into anchos), jalapenos, bells, marconis, and I have bred a banana pepper into a variety that we all love that smells like grapefruit with a hint of pepper bite, citrusy sweet peppers. The serranos are the hottest I grow, but processed right and dried and crumbled adds all the heat I can handle.
my anchos are the base for all of my venison stews and chilis. Of course, I add just about all of the peppers I grow to my chili.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I love hot peppers. I grow a new variety each year then come winter I dig them up and put them in smaller containers then overwinter them inside. It's called bonchi. It's like bonzai trees but with pepper plants. So far I have a scorpion, lemon drop, and a 7 pot pepper. Not sure what I will do next year.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
In my younger days I loved hot stuff but a few years ago I got a viral infection in my stomach and spent 4 days in the hospital. After that I cannot handle the hot stuff. I do enjoy Franks and Louisiana but thats about as hot as I can tolerate

• Sad
Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.