Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Calabrian pepper paste is indeed tasty. It is at a spice level we could handle !
Awesome! I love spicy stuff, I go through multiple bottles of hot sauce every week. I do have some "Ass Blaster" brand hot sauce that has lasted a while though, it has capsaicin extract and is maliciously spicy. That Calabrian pepper paste looks pretty tasty!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I like spicy food, too. I always have, but I received a new understanding of “spicy” about 20 years ago. We use a fair bit of cayenne here in Louisiana, so I thought I was well-versed in the ways of capsaicin, but my wife and I met, and eventually became good friends with, a Laotian family that owned a Thai restaurant that we used to frequent at the time. The first time we ate there, I had no idea what any of the dishes were, so I asked our friend-to-be to just bring me whatever she recommended. She said “Do you like spicy?” I said “Yeah, I love spicy.” ?
She brought me a green papaya salad that must’ve been nine parts chilis, and one part papaya! ?
I got schooled! ?
Strangely enough I became addicted to it, and I would almost always order that salad and a bowl of pho. We ate there at least once a week, sometimes twice, and I elevated my spice tolerance pretty considerably. I don’t think I’m at ghost pepper levels, but I do enjoy truly spicy food now, and there isn’t a dish at an Indian or Southeast Asian restaurant that I can’t handle now. ?

I have not tasted that , but I have had sauces that had Glost Pepper earlier. This is in a different league though compared to the sauces I had earlier. 100% dried Ghost Pepper powder and 100% pure Carolina Reaper! I had some more with dinner, and I am sweating, crying and burning at the same time.

I like a sauce called Hellhound. It tastes like hinz 57 but is made with ghost pepper. Fantastic on brats and burgers.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Nope. Can't do hot stuff like I used to. Hottest I can take now days is Jamaican Scotch Bonnet sauce with mango and spices.
I haven’t made any in quite a while, but sometimes I make a similar sauce and mix it with pulled pork for sandwiches when I smoke a hog. Just something different than traditional barbecue sauce for a change of pace.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I cannot handle a lot of ?. My mouth can to some extent , but my stomach cannot. But I do like to shock myself time to time.
Yes. Good point. My mouth can handle it, but oftentimes it means I’m going to have heartburn all night long if I eat something like that too late in the evening. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Nice! That Puckerbutt is a good choice if you want hot and to taste the base pepper without too much added flavoring.

For delicious, unique, and still very hot, may I recommend Burns and McCoy (Exhorresco) and Angry Goat pepper company (Purple Hippo).

For something less hot, Secret Aardvark Habanero is popular for a reason. Everyone loves that stuff.

My favorite peppers are 7 pots and Scotch Bonnets.

I originally took up eating spicy stuff as a treatment for severe digestive issues (and it worked wonderfully), but I don't eat it as much anymore.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have not tasted that , but I have had sauces that had Glost Pepper earlier. This is in a different league though compared to the sauces I had earlier. 100% dried Ghost Pepper powder and 100% pure Carolina Reaper! I had some more with dinner, and I am sweating, crying and burning at the same time.
I don't mess with the pure pepper stuff but it's a fantastic ingredient in a sauce.

I don't do much hot anything since my stomach surgery but I keep this stuff on hand and use a little for certain things. The only other "hot" sauces I allow myself are Valentina which is mild, has a nice vinegary tang, and is versatile (great on tuna) and also regular Tobasco but that's only for oysters.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I can't do hot stuff at all and I don't understand how anyone can. Any kind of chili is all fire and no flavor to me. I could as well just burn my mouth with a lighter to the same effects. Actually chili is worse, because it's still hot when it leaves the body. Even pizza with pickled jalapenos is too much for me.

Reactions: cshubhra

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I like spicy food, too. I always have, but I received a new understanding of “spicy” about 20 years ago. We use a fair bit of cayenne here in Louisiana, so I thought I was well-versed in the ways of capsaicin, but my wife and I met, and eventually became good friends with, a Laotian family that owned a Thai restaurant that we used to frequent at the time. The first time we ate there, I had no idea what any of the dishes were, so I asked our friend-to-be to just bring me whatever she recommended. She said “Do you like spicy?” I said “Yeah, I love spicy.” ?
She brought me a green papaya salad that must’ve been nine parts chilis, and one part papaya! ?
I got schooled! ?
Strangely enough I became addicted to it, and I would almost always order that salad and a bowl of pho. We ate there at least once a week, sometimes twice, and I elevated my spice tolerance pretty considerably. I don’t think I’m at ghost pepper levels, but I do enjoy truly spicy food now, and there isn’t a dish at an Indian or Southeast Asian restaurant that I can’t handle now. ?

A Laotian family owning a Thai restaurant serving Vietnamese food. Add some Cambodian in there and you’d have the entire peninsula.

Status
Not open for further replies.