PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I realized that I had not posted pictures of any of my recent acquisitions so here are a few pipes I have picked up recently for you to enjoy whilst you contemplate all that Turkey and stuffing you are shortly about to stuff your faces with at 3 PM this afternoon!
The first one is a super example of the Viennese meerschaum carvers art form from circa 1890 with a perfect amber stem, nice tight threads and a pristine case. The pipe has been lightly smoked and it still has its base plug in the bowl which is really quite rare.
image1-118_zpskmyzwqho.jpg

DSC02210_zpsjdno44ag.jpg

I will post a few more in a few minutes!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It is clearly shown the bottom of the bowl in the second picture. It was a form of obstruction that acted in a sort of 'Yellow Bowl' coloring device on Victorian meerschaums. I have written about them extensively on my 'cutty' blog and have shown examples of things that were used from silver three penny pieces through the nuts from steam meters!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Ah, I remember now! Thanks for the refresher. I do recall reading some of your material on the subject.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This next fellow has been in the wars a little bit and will be on a 'one way trip' to Briarville to have a silver reinforcing band fitted to the shank behind the heal of the bowl. Whats interesting is its a true 'cutty' and is just under 5" in length and has had extensive use so once its over hauled and pressed into service it should be an excellent pipe. The threads and stem are surprisingly sound and the case isn't to bad either but then what do you expect for $13.00.
pipe_01_zpsetkoz7wk.jpg

Again this has a plug in the bowl that will have to be removed
pipe_02_zpsof9qngr6.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Last but not least we have this group of 'road smash' victims picked up for $23 and currently with Briarville for new stems. The 'cutty' I am keeping and the other one is going to one of my closest friends who will no doubt smoke the hell out of it. I think the repairs are going to cost more than the acquisition price but good meerschaums are getting harder to find these days!
p_zpsukutfzup.jpg

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Nice pipes! Last pic is a bit small, I'd like to see the top one bigger :)

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I had a friend who asked me to help him cleab up and make minor repairs to two old meers he purchased. Removing the plug was part of that job. Under the plug was a pleasant mess of many decades of hardened gunk, and an old spider egg nest. I ended up turning a briar plug to shape the bowl and dropped that into it.
Beutiful pipes! I have a soft spot for cuttys too.

Status
Not open for further replies.