PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
No markings that I can find on this old man.

Lup0hSgh.png
[/url][/img]

2fEcGC6h.png
[/url][/img]

NofKDivh.png
[/url][/img]
This pre-colored hand holding bowl has a small "F" etched on the ring.

VAD4H1dh.png
[/url][/img]

i7cpt8hh.png
[/url][/img]

I love the sunburst color on this pre-colored Premier

sUPuBQdh.png
[/url][/img]

EFH3vYBh.png
[/url][/img]

Kvw7un8h.png
[/url][/img]
MLC Meer

0DqUAgZh.png
[/url][/img]

V0KBtFsh.png
[/url][/img]

aUOJxSTh.png
[/url][/img]
A horn shape meer with no markings that I can find

sGa2wnOh.png
[/url][/img]

SH5AOfXh.png
[/url][/img]

jUGO9jGh.png
[/url][/img]
A Claw Holding Egg with no markings that I can find

be6Xjxyh.png
[/url][/img]

eoNKHQzh.png
[/url][/img]
If anyone knows any info on any of the unmarked pipes I'd be delighted to listen. Thanks for looking.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
No info, but I love the way that the Horn looks, great group of pipes there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those sure do look old. I love the claw and F ring - I wonder what femme-fatale inspired the ring? (looks like a female hand).

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
Thanks for the kind posts all. Wish I had info on the unmarked pipes but they'll probably remain a mystery. Don't hesitate to throw out any educated guesses. Ive picked these all up from the same individual who seems to call about once a year wondering if im still on the hunt. Some nice briars as well. I'll try to get those up on the pipe talk forum soon. All oldies as well.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I'd like to see better close ups on the metal bands on the MLC Meer and Claw Egg. I want to say the claw is Prussian, but it is only a stylistic impression. All of those pipes and stems are fantastic! I would venture they are all 19th century or older, except the third one which strikes me as WWI era, within a decade or two. These are just impressions though, I'm an antique guy/art historian, not a pipe aficionado. Amazing collection ! :clap:
Wanna sell any? (not that I could afford them) 8)

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
All amazing pipes! I love how glossy you were able to get them. The one that stood out the most to me was the last one- the claw. I can't get over how the silver band is worked into the detail of the carving on the shank. Beautiful!

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Those are all stunning, especially the hand-and-egg. Ben Rapaport claims the eagle-claw motif is an American style, but I've seen a handful of European ones. That straight one is only the 2nd claw I've ever seen with a straight stem.

meer4me

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
I would be MOST interested in hearing anyone's (theory) on the deep red and black coloring of the claw/egg pipe. That is most beautiful in my opinion. Quality of Meer? Porosity of Meer? Frequency of smoking? Type of tobacco smoked? I have an Altinok claw churchwarden with acrylic stem and would love to have it color that way. Any replies appreciated. Chris

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
Pretty sure the claw was a pre-colored meer. Sometimes referred to "oxblood" or "dragonsblood" stained. Same goes for the Premier billiard and the hand holding bowl. I think the hand holding bowl wasn't smoked nearly as much as the Premier billiard and the claw. I haven't seen many recent year pre-colored meers. Not sure why, but it seems that the practice has significantly declined. I see it a lot more in turn of the century pipes.

Jan 10, 2014
I have a picture of a barely smoked dragon claw but with a full bent stem, no shank collar. It has the same hemisphere jewel(?) at the end of the shank. It is cased and the inscription reads, "Ecume Veritable, Qualite Garantie," True Meerschaum, Guaranteed Quality in French. Yours is obviously a 19th century piece but I cannot be certain that it was made in France. 19th century carvers were notorious for copying each other. I have a Ulmer pipe that is virtually identical to a cheroot holder in the Amsterdam Pipe Museum collection but much smaller. There are other pipes with specific design elements from across the Austro-Hungarian Empire. BTW, I am uncertain that your claw meerschaum was dyed. The canted billiard appears to have been dyed, as well as the egg bowl in a lady's hand. It is amazing how rapidly a pale stummel can color once it is cleaned and a wax-jojoba finish is applied. https://www.flickr.com/photos/41273109@N02/16067109323/in/dateposted-public/

Status
Not open for further replies.