Some Advice if this Pipe from Irish Second is Safely Smokable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Completely up to you as to how you want to handle it. It's second for a reason. But if it bothers you, it will bother you every time you see this pipe. That won't be a right recipe for a relaxing smoke. On the other hand, if it doesn't bother you, it won't be a problem.
That's completely true. I just like the pipe too much and afraid it would break if I smoke straight away. But as many suggested just smoke away and it shouldn't be a big problem. Then I'll take the advises, cuz I'm practically a newbie to this situation.

Reactions: bullet08
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, it's classified as the first class of the irish second, thought the problem won't be too big. Maximal some deficiency on the outlook or some little problem. never thought the hole would be that big. I'm gonna break it in later with aged burley from solani. hope it will be all right. got warrenty for 1 year anyway ?
Just don't get greedy with relights trying to smoke to the absolute bottom of the bowl. Even then, probably not a problem unless you're using a torch.

Reactions: anotherbob

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Just don't get greedy with relights trying to smoke to the absolute bottom of the bowl. Even then, probably not a problem unless you're using a torch.
I tried yesterday. somkes perfectly well at the beginning! Just the bowl is too deep(42mm) and I dont know if it has anything to do that I smoke with pure burley flake, as I heared it is hard to burn, although I already left the slice of flake out in the air for at least 40 mins. The last few tobacco lay in the bottom just won't burn so good after I tried to light it 3 times. The smoke only exist a few seconds after I light it up. And I thought I should just give it up before I do some damage to the unprotected wall. Now the drill hole is filled with a few slice of unburned tobacco and I can't find a way to make them all out as they stick hard in the hole. Hope it is ok to leave it that way ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most pipes leave a little dottle (unburned tobacco) at the end of a smoke. The dottle stuck in there will probably burn to cake, but it may also be loosened with the pick of a pipe tool. I'd try a few more bowls and see how it does. In general, I think "seconds" are entirely functional, just a little flawed in the finish. If it were my pipe, I'd be betting it will smoke along just fine. The only pipes of mine that consistently smoke to fine ash are the MM cobs. They are thrifty with tobacco, and the taste does not diminish either.

Reactions: FrostForest
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I tried yesterday. somkes perfectly well at the beginning! Just the bowl is too deep(42mm) and I dont know if it has anything to do that I smoke with pure burley flake, as I heared it is hard to burn, although I already left the slice of flake out in the air for at least 40 mins. The last few tobacco lay in the bottom just won't burn so good after I tried to light it 3 times. The smoke only exist a few seconds after I light it up. And I thought I should just give it up before I do some damage to the unprotected wall. Now the drill hole is filled with a few slice of unburned tobacco and I can't find a way to make them all out as they stick hard in the hole. Hope it is ok to leave it that way ?
what harm could they cause? Try drying your next bowl in the microwave. Lay on napkin, 10 seconds on high then give it a couple of minutes to cool off. Sounds like you're over thinking this whole pipe smoking thing. Don't make it harder than it is, those pipes and the tobacco are supposed to work for us not vice versa.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Bamboo skewers for BBQ is your friend. I keep some around to clean cob pipes. Tobacco left in the chamber might sour things up. As to little tobacco left in the bowl, don't sweat it. If it's a lot, that can be due to number of issues. Tobacco not dried enough, and the bowl packed too tight are two most common issues. Make sure to squeeze the tobacco to feel how dry it is. You shouldn't feel any wetness. It should be almost crisp without breaking to dust.

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
what harm could they cause? Try drying your next bowl in the microwave. Lay on napkin, 10 seconds on high then give it a couple of minutes to cool off. Sounds like you're over thinking this whole pipe smoking thing. Don't make it harder than it is, those pipes and the tobacco are supposed to work for us not vice versa.
yeah I'm a little intense on this break in stuff. The second pipe I own is a naked pipe, the wall is not painted with any layers, but looks perfectly fine. the first 2 times is ok. but after the third smoke I noticed there's a small burned up hole on inner wall. although I haven't smoke outside, used soft flame lighter and the pipe, as I feel, was also never too hot. I really like that pipe too and I still keep smoking it from time to time. The hole doesn't seems to be bigger. But that experience keeps haunting me. thats why when it comes to break in a new pipe with naked wall or with some deficiencies like this one, I become a bit unsure what is right ? this is just my forth pipe

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
yeah I'm a little intense on this break in stuff. The second pipe I own is a naked pipe, the wall is not painted with any layers, but looks perfectly fine. the first 2 times is ok. but after the third smoke I noticed there's a small burned up hole on inner wall. although I haven't smoke outside, used soft flame lighter and the pipe, as I feel, was also never too hot. I really like that pipe too and I still keep smoking it from time to time. The hole doesn't seems to be bigger. But that experience keeps haunting me. thats why when it comes to break in a new pipe with naked wall or with some deficiencies like this one, I become a bit unsure what is right ? this is just my forth pipe

Smoke it. The small pit will either fill with cake or burn through. Chances favor the former.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Peterson quality control triumphs again! Personally I'd be fighting the urge to use the pipe to to beat to death whoever sold it to you.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It was a "second". That means there's a defect.
To me this isn't a defect. In my experience it takes the practiced eye to call it so, and half the time I wouldn't see it had it not been pointed out to me. So if a defect, a mammoth defect, So what does Peterson do? They sell it, of course and take $20 or $30 off the back of a customer who if he had any sense would have long since run away from a company undeserving of even that nominal designation. More than probably there was no picture showing the defect nor any description indicating it.

Peterson quality control may not include examining the bowl, or if it does this is translated to walking by the racks of pipes ready to ship. and with a wave of the hand indicating, "Yep! Personally inspected them all. Ship them out!"

Peterson has an important presence in today's pipe marketplace. Their practices should befit this.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
To me this isn't a defect. In my experience it takes the practiced eye to call it so, and half the time I wouldn't see it had it not been pointed out to me. So if a defect, a mammoth defect, So what does Peterson do? They sell it, of course and take $20 or $30 off the back of a customer who if he had any sense would have long since run away from a company undeserving of even that nominal designation. More than probably there was no picture showing the defect nor any description indicating it.

Peterson quality control may not include examining the bowl, or if it does this is translated to walking by the racks of pipes ready to ship. and with a wave of the hand indicating, "Yep! Personally inspected them all. Ship them out!"

Peterson has an important presence in today's pipe marketplace. Their practices should befit this.
No. It was inspected and found with a defect. That's why it's a second. I agree this is a major defect and probably shouldn't have been let out, but that's not up to me. Buyer also has an option to send it back if that's what he wishes to do. Yes, it doesn't look good on Peterson, and keeps haters harping. I also agree Peterson should do something to shut those haters yelping, but that's not up to me either.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just bought one irish second pipe. The original one is Sherlock Holmes Original from Peterson. Despite the irish second printing on it you can still see the original printing. The pipe looks overall very nice. I really love the shape and wood pattern on it. Bought it with 110 Euro instead of 160.

But inside the bowl is quite rough. At the bottom of the inner wall you can see the drilling has digged too deep and left a big hole inside. Actually im not so sure if its drilled too deep or not. Because it is my first bent pipe ever. Never inspected any other bent pipe inside and found no photo of it. I'm therefore afraid that this big hole would lead to a burn out, although according to seller it is smokable. I would like to hear some advice from more experienced smokers.

And I also wonder if I should do something to make the inner wall smoother as I try to break in the pipe. I never saw a pipe with so rough wall inside and I'm afraid it would cause unequal heating, which might also lead to burn out.

View attachment 90379
See at the center of the bottom of the pipe. It is already to be recognized the producer has drilled two times.
View attachment 90380
The drill hole on the right side.
View attachment 90382
the drill hole on the left side.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 90383
the inner wall is really rough and unequally painted with whatever stuff that is used to protect the wall of the pipe from burn out. But I'm not sure if it will cause unequal distrubution of heat and cause a burn out...

View attachment 90384
The drilling in the shank. I suppose it has the same structure as a Peterson System Pipe? The error on the edge is ok i think.

View attachment 90385View attachment 90386
the overall look of her.

I would really love to hear your opions on this matter, if it is smokable or the big drilling hole in the bottom and the rough apply on the wall might cause problem later on?

what causes burnout in many cases is people fighting to smoke the dottle at the bottom after it doesn't want to stay lit. Some people try with all their might and matches to smoke every shred of tobacco. That's more likely to cause serious damage then this imperfection which would I bet be more susceptible to burnout in that situation. Just with any pipe don't fight to smoke those last shreds if it happens easy fine but don't force it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yeah it should be fine. They'll eventually come out with the regular cleaning.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
No. It was inspected and found with a defect. That's why it's a second. I agree this is a major defect and probably shouldn't have been let out, but that's not up to me. Buyer also has an option to send it back if that's what he wishes to do. Yes, it doesn't look good on Peterson, and keeps haters harping. I also agree Peterson should do something to shut those haters yelping, but that's not up to me either.
I've been around pipes for 20 years, and in that time the quantity and quality of Peterson's defects has quite justifiably earned them not only a reputation for a sloppy manufacturing process but also the greed that supports selling their defective pipes nonetheless. That they have always earned from their slop tells me that that it predates my time, which tells me that they have been doing do so for so many years that they do so knowingly.

I'm not motivated to stop yelping by the conclusion. In fact, after thinking and writing about this, I utterly reject the pejorative and conclude that Peterson knowingly makes defects and sells them.

This is a low process. Whatever one's work product, other than being paid, there is nothing more important than the integrity that governs the care with which you make the product. Which tells me that whoever leads that company has none. The company's leaders sold out--for money, surprise, surprise--a long time ago.

Smokingpipes from what I have seen is a quality operation from bottom to top. Now that Sykes owns Peterson I very much doubt that he will allow Peterson their slop.

PS Anecdote I heard years ago testifying to the loyalty the brand inspires: An old timer breaking in a dipped Peterson, asked about status replied, "This is the 40th bowl, and she's coming around."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have at least a dozen Petes and none of them have had quality problems. I'd guess this may be because I have always bought low and mid range Petes, and bought most of them through SP which does some quality control of its own. No system pipes, only one P-lip. My success is mostly attributable to luck, but lucky it has been. My favorites are two B11 brandy shapes in different finishes and series.