PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Oh yeah SD, that ABF is goooood good good.

A little pricey to smoke all the time, but any burley fan should have a tin. (That means you Mike :D )

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Got to try it as I do prefer burleys,how does it compare to McB's London Burley?

Jul 12, 2011
I haven't tried McB's , but Solani's flake is got that nice, rich, creamy burley goodness

of chocolate, roasted nut, etc..I leave in folded flake form which I think

is perfect, cool/slow burn with no biiter tastes or bite at all. I just had

a nice sized flake in a Jake Hackert Pat custom cob this AM w/side of

Coffee....doesn't get much better :) I have been through a few tins now

and will say their Q/C so far is excellent, same experience tin-after-tin

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
You guys talked me into it... just placed an order for a tin..... I will let you know what I think when I get it but it sounds great!!!

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Mike.... I found it was just too easy and satisfying too give in............... :lol:

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Sorry for the thread bump, but I have a question for those who are familiar with Solani Aged Burley Flake. What is the best way – in your experience – to prepare a bowl of this? Let it sit out for a couple of hours? Rub it out, or fold and stuff or cube cut? Help! I couldn't get mine to stay lit.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Bulldog, I've rubbed it out and smoked it, folded and stuffed, dried or not. I found it burns better with a little bit of drying time (2 hours maybe) and I prefer the fold and stuff.
I've also never tried cube cutting but bentmike's "Cube Cut Method" thread has me interested. Next time I reach for a flake I plan on giving it a try.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I have always rubbed it out and love it that way!!! That said I will be trying the cube cut and fold and stuff this weekend to see how they are too....

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Mick, I'd say most of your problems with this and other blends are moisture related.
Straight out of the tin most tobaccos will be quite moist, but some are worse than others. If you really have no luck, rub some out and leave it until it is obviously dry and try again. This could take hours and hours...
Looking back, most of my pipe difficulties were related to moisture. You'll get the hang of assessing the proper time to smoke...
The easiest way to handle a flake is always to rub it out; you can experiment with other methods afterwards. Unless you have a pipe that is really suited to flake smoking, the other methods take a bit more work.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Hmm, maybe that was my mistake. I set it out and then cut it up. Maybe I should rub one it out and then dry it. I'll keep at it. Practice makes perfect! Thanks all!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Handling loose cut tobacco is generally much more familiar to most people - I found it simpler to just go that route from the start. If someone grew up in the UK and all they ever smoked was flakes, I'd understand their different POV! You'll find varied burning rates and some say varied flavours according to your method of choice, so feel free to play around with them later on. (I assume you've been browsing the links on the left hand side)
It'd dry faster if it was rubbed out first... Don't get me wrong, you don't want it crispy, but if it is a bit tacky to the touch and you are having trouble lighting up then that's likely the problem.
Today feels like my first time smoking a pipe, I'm having so many problems myself - I should probably be the last person to give you advice! :lol:
My tastebuds seem off, my cob stems arent' fitting right, my rehydrated tobacco is too moist, my new Gawith tin was dinged enough that the seal was broken, even Prince Albert wouldn't burn properly... It's just one of those days I guess.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I hear that! I tried McClelland Easy Street and couldn't get that to light either. One of those days, indeed.
By the way, I have read up on flakes in general, but I was hoping to find advice about this one particular product from someone with a lot of experience with it. Reviews don't really cover it, either.

Jul 12, 2011
A few things will screw with your ability to keep the pipe lit;
1. Moisture levels on the bacci

2. Pipe is not properly broken in

3. Your packing is too loose or tight
I smoke probably 95% flake and leave it in flake-form,

now some blends like SG I leave out for (24-48hrs) before

it is ready, others like Peterson UF or Irish about 30-60minutes

as well as say Dunhill flake. I do a fold/rip and stack method;

building a Cone-shaped plug that fits snug into the diameter of pipe bowl

but not tight, it will expand when fired up and that will make a perfect

draw for you. Leaving in flake form requires more work on the tamp.
I hope all that helps out, but patience and practice makes perfect.

Always remember that pipe smoking is a journey we hope never

ends, learning blends, pipes, packing styles, etc are all part

of that great journey.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been doing the cube cut on all my flakes lately and been having great results. I never fully rubbed out flakes, I would break them up with my fingers into smaller chunks, but the cube cut is giving me a much more even burn,and the flavors are shining through very nicely.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Def the best plain Burley I have tried. Nutty and dare I say, a nice underlying creamy sweetness. Another plus is that Solani is not full of timber.

May 31, 2012
Yep, ABF is the ultimate in nuttiness!
Wessex Burley Slice is good too, and although it too is nutty, I'd say it's more at the chocolate end of the spectrum somehow.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Just got my first tin of 656, this stuff is great. I don't smoke Burley that often, when I do it's Kentucky Club. Well now I'm gonna switch to 656 it has way more flavor and a thicker, toastier mouth feel. I'm sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.