Solani Aged Burley Anything Else Like It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
Hello Everyone,
I've really taken a liking to Solani Aged Burley Flake lately. I had a tin and didn't think much of it until I smoked it for the first bowl of the day. I got quite a nicotine hit off it and started to enjoy the basic yet tasty "taste" of pure aged burley.

Are there any other blends out there that feature just Burley or something similar to this blend? Thanks!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I definitely second the Wessex Burley Slice. However, I don’t think they are different enough to warrant both in my rotation, I’m sure there are others who will strongly disagree but I couldn’t tell the difference between the two in a blind taste test.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I second or third or whatever the HH Burley vote. Also, I don’t have the most refined palette, but I find that Peterson 3P’s fills a similar niche as ABF. It’s cheap and readily available these days. I don’t really like having to cut up the super dense plug, though.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I definitely second the Wessex Burley Slice. However, I don’t think they are different enough to warrant both in my rotation, I’m sure there are others who will strongly disagree but I couldn’t tell the difference between the two in a blind taste test.

I love your honesty! But I must say that had you coated the bowl with a tad of BROBS' roach ooze before smoking your palate would have been more acute/astute such that even the most insignificant flavor variations would have been detected.

Next time.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
C&D burley flake #3 is very flavorful. It's a bit different than solani or mac baren's but certainly worth trying if you're into strong burley flakes.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love your honesty! But I must say that had you coated the bowl with a tad of BROBS' roach ooze before smoking your palate would have been more acute/astute such that even the most insignificant flavor variations would have been detected.

Next time.
Hahaha :ROFLMAO: Possibly so! Burley flakes are not my favorite, however I do enjoy them from time to time. To be fair, it’s been a long time since I’ve had both back to back but I do remember both tasting remarkably similar, too similar to warrant stocking both, so I picked the easier to find of the two (at the time anyway).

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I love ABF as well. Similar blends in my rotation include MacBaren HH Burley Flake and Wessex Burley Slice.

One thats a little different, but burley based and I love it is HU Makhuwa.

On topic, no idea.

Off topic, @alaskanpiper glad to read that you got it in the end and love it :) Don't you think it's what Bob's chocolate flake should have been? I'm being biased here, but when I read "chocolate" I want chocolate, not a hit of a chocolate bar someone ate three days ago, in a different continent ;)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
hawks, weren't you collecting Condor? How's that going?

I collected over 100 plugs, 30 pouches of RR and 15 pouches of the Long Cut in 2016.

I found some vintage Condor in early 2018 but that was my last Condor purchase.

That is enough Condor to last me a lifetime. Every time I made a haul of Condor Plug, the prices would increase drastically so I was trying to get ahold of as much as I could within a relatively short period of time.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As for the Aged Burley flake by Solani goes, I don't know,but to me ABF seems to be higher in nicotine than either of the following blends,Amphora Burley ,Wessex Burley slice or Mc Baren HH Burley flake,yet the ABF by Solani has some slight odd-tasting topping applied and it is fairly bold,smooth and round tasting blend

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
hawks, that's quite a haul! So that's 100 X 25g or 2500g or 5 metric lbs. b ought in 2016, before the owners trashed it.. I would say that you gathered your roses expediently. I like it! I like bold action!

Reactions: hawky454

turboprof

Lurker
Apr 19, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I’ll echo previous recommendations for MacBaren’s HH Burley flake. It is not in any way identical to ABF, but perhaps in the same ballpark.

I get a lot of anise flavor from ABF, and I have not found that same flavor in any of the other similar blends I’ve tried (HH burley flake, amphora burley, C&D burley flake #3). I’ve seen claims that this anise flavor is not a topping, but rather due to the process they use to make the tobacco. I have no idea if that is true, but I’ve not found any blend that has anything quite like the anise flavor I get from ABF, so maybe that’s why it is hard to find a close match.

The HH burley flake gives me a similar, almost cigar-like impression as ABF, but with more of a honey-like flavor as opposed to anise. I’d give ABF the edge flavor-wise, but they are both great.

Though not in the same category, you might try Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. To me it has a bit of that anise character, but against a very different backdrop.

Regardless, all the blends suggested so far in the thread are probably worth a try if you’ve not tried them. I‘ve never had Wessex Burley Slice, so I’m definitely going to pick that one up!

Reactions: Bowie