Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I’m a huge fan of HH burley flake and it’s certainly my go to burley blend in the morning with a cup of fresh coffee. I find the flavor profile nutty, cocoa sweet with a slight Kentucky tang that pops from time to time.

Recently I ordered a few tins of solani ABF as I’ve never tried it and it’s highly rated everywhere.

Opened a tin this morning and first thing that hit me was licorice and the cocoa hiding in the background. Side by side, HH Burley brings a lot more natural cocoa and nuts from the tin note without any additives. Wasn’t expecting that as ABF is supposed to have the cocoa upfront and HH doesn’t have any topping at all. Weird, but ok, moving on...

Beautiful flakes but a little moist. Rubbed out a flake, dried for about 20min and packed my savinelli 321. Burned nicely, no bite and few relights.

That licorice from the tin note did not appear in the smoke, first puffs brought that earthy cocoa that I was looking for, but no sweetness at all.

After 1/3 of the bowl I started tasting an unexpected bitter thing in the back of my mouth despite the pleasing nutty cocoa notes. Thought to myself, is ABF supposed to have that bitter thing going on?

Don’t get me wrong, I like bitter flavors, 99% chocolate is my go to after lunch, but that bitterness was nothing like it. That’s when I stopped and put a little test to see what the hell was going on.

Decided to pack HH burley using another 321 and smoke them both side by side.

For my surprise, to me HH burley flake tasted a lot sweeter and chocolaty despite being pure tobacco with no topping. Yes I know, HH is not pure burley, so it’s expected to have some more nuances.

But ABF kept that bitter thing all the way to the end while HH burley flake was smoother, sweeter and way more complex.

That burley natural cocoa note seems way more upfront in HH burley flake and that was the opposite of what I thought it would happen.

Nevertheless, it’s still a great tobacco. I’m smoking all 4 tins but I’m not sure I’ll try to stock this up in the future.

Going to smoke my first bowl of amphora burley tonight. Looking forward to see if it stands up to both HH and ABF.

What’s your thoughts on these blends? Any similar experience comparing them?

Alex

D3B7396E-E625-4F1E-84A8-19A78A367672.jpeg

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I'd be interested in your thoughts two or three weeks from now when the Solani tin has a chance to air out for a bit. Your review is based upon a freshly opened tin.
That’s definitely a good point. I’ll see how it changes in the next week or so and keep updating my review.

Reactions: ofafeather and dcon

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I always found ABF to be mot3 chocolatey, and HH to be more pure and earthy with that nutty thing going on.

Another you should try if you're after that chocolate is Wessex Burley Slice, which is my personal favorite of the three.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I like them both. I've been smoking the Solani for a long time and I find it a bit stronger than the HH and more 'woodsy' if that is a thing. They both scratch the burley itch when I get it.

The Wessex burley (slice?) reminds me of bbq for some reason.

If you are looking for a change of pace and don't mind a little topping, I recommend Peterson's University Flake.

Reactions: Alex.Jr

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I always found ABF to be mot3 chocolatey, and HH to be more pure and earthy with that nutty thing going on.

Another you should try if you're after that chocolate is Wessex Burley Slice, which is my personal favorite of the three.
That’s on my list for sure.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I like them both. I've been smoking the Solani for a long time and I find it a bit stronger than the HH and more 'woodsy' if that is a thing. They both scratch the burley itch when I get it.

If you are looking for a change of pace and don't mind a little topping, I recommend Peterson's University Flake.
University flake is very good and I like it lot. Different of course, but tasty.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

HH Bold KEntucky is pretty much bbq in my estimation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Amphora Burley. The cut is a little large which can increase relights, but the flavor is big and lively. You might want to rub it out a little more and maybe dry it some, but I just relight and forge ahead.

Reactions: Alex.Jr

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Smoked another bowl today using a Different pipe and that bitterness was practically gone.

It’s still less sweet than the HH but without that bitter thing going on it’s a totally different experience.

I know that a blend continuously changes after opening the tin but I’ll say that this is the biggest change of taste I saw after less than 48h amongst all blends I’ve tried.

Quite interesting I’d say…

Status
Not open for further replies.