PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Softy Bits and Storage:

I must admit, I never considered a softy bit because I was never really a clenched, however I decided to throw one onto my new Castello to protect the stem, and I have found out that I love these bits. I may not necessarily be a clenched still, however I do enjoy chomping down much more nowadays.

My question however is this: with a whole bunch of new softy bits coming in the next order, do you store your pipes with the CLEAN bits on, or do you slap one on before you smoke?

I understand the cleaning procedure, but I am worried that if I store my pipes with the bits on them, that they may leave an undeliverable mark if left in storage for too long in the rotation. How long is too long for you guys? Has anyone ever had a problem with storing and marks? Does the softy increase the oxidation even though it is clean and dry? Has anyone had any leaching problems from their softies?
Shutterbug

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know that much about softies, don't use them much, except for a while on cobs that had chewed

up stems before I bought new stems. I would say, it depends on what you mean by storing. If you

regularly rotate the pipes with softies, you can keep up with them for cleanliness and oxidation. I wouldn't

spend much time worrying about it. If you are putting away pipes that could -- I say could -- end up being

in a case or drawer, etc., for months or even years, I'd take off the softies and store them separately. That

will keep anything from adhering or transferring to the stem in an undesirable way. I don't think this is

likely, but I'd just feel better not leaving the softies on for prolonged periods of disuse.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I was thinking maybe at most a few weeks. Just worried about any transference of residue/oil/who knows what.

Thanks for your input.
Shutterbug

Dec 24, 2012
I use softies, but I now make my own out of latex tubing, as Kashmir and others have suggested. The black rubber ones you buy will blemish vulancite (but don't harm acrylic stems, from my experience). The latex tubing does not tarnish vulcanite, in my experience. If you use the black rubber ones I would definitely take them off before you store any pipe with a vulcanite stem.

Dec 24, 2012
By the way, if you have a thick stem and are having trouble getting the softy on, dab your finger in alcohol and rub the stem area by the bit with it. This acts as a momentary lubricant and very quickly evaporates.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I use Softie Bits. I am a clencher and love the way they feel. They also make the stem type a non-issue. I leave them on my pipes.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I've been trying out some softy bits. They seem to make me salivate more. guess I just need more practice

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
I find it better to put them on right before the smoke, I was leaving them on all the time but they get saliva build up around the edges and can cause discoloration of Vulcanite stems, I find it best to take them off after the smoke, clean the stem and softy separately and start fresh for ever smoke.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Strange1:

I concur. I think the best way to go about it is to start fresh each and every time.

Thank you all for your input.
Shutterbug

Status
Not open for further replies.