PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
All,

Just curious, but how often do you see someone smoking a pipe in public? I have seen maybe three people smoking a pipe in public in the entire course of my life (46 years). Ecigs, cigarettes, cigars, these I see all the time. I believe it is the slow down culture that pipe smoking promotes. Sure, I have a few small bowls that are surely meant for a quick smoke, but I guess pipe smoking demands time and attention. I sometimes feel like a shill trying to promote more public pipe smoking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There are eight where I work, but that was my fault. :mrgreen: I've been a pipe smoker for nearly thirty years, and it is a rarity.

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
I've only seen one gentleman smoking a pipe "in the wild" since I started smoking one a little over a year ago. I may have seen more before, but didn't notice.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Every third day or so I will meet a pipesmoker on our street.Then I ask " what are you smoking today" and we will

have a chat.

Five years ago you could meet a pipesmoker every day.........all at my age......old boys.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Except in a cigar & pipe lounge, in the last 2 years I have only seen one man smoking a pipe out in public. I’ve often seen the clouds of smoke from people vaping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The old gents (of which I'm one) I've seen smoking pipes retreat like the devil was after them when I try to engage them about their pipes. I assume they get negative comments, or maybe they just don't want to converse. Russ O. made the insightful comment that the majority of pipe smokers don't consider it a hobby or interest, but just something they do. It's not a conversation piece. They have their Prince Albert or their Half-and-Half, and a pipe, and if they want company they'll go to the VFW, thanks. The young hipsters are busy doing that. I guess for sociability, try a pipe club or a pipe shop, or just see if a friend would like to try a pipe. It's not like walking a dog where various people engage you in conversation.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I will bring a pipe out if I'm going somewhere outdoors with my family, where we can walk around. Smoking is generally relegated to the fringes of public events, but if I can move around and not bother anyone, I have no qualms about puffing away. I usually get a compliment too haha :D

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's not a conversation piece. They have their Prince Albert or their Half-and-Half, and a pipe, and if they want company they'll go to the VFW, thanks.
Sort of like asking someone why they smoke Marlboro Lights. Maybe the only remaining strategy is to engage them in conversation about something else. I have to rein it in since normal conversation topics are death metal, barbecue sauce, Platonic civilization downfall, and of course the truth of the flat Earth.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Just curious, but how often do you see someone smoking a pipe in public?
In the 12 1/2 years I've lived here, only once- about 12 years ago. He was an older gentleman inside a restaurant smoking an aromatic in a bent briar. Smelled great.
In my house? Every time I look in the mirror. :lol:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
There are a few younger guys around work who I will see smoking a pipe, but I've turned most of them on to it. In my little town I see a couple of older gentlemen from time to time. As mentioned above, they don't usually want to discuss pipes or tobacco. But you'll get a kind nod of approval if you aren't overbearing. They may talk to you if you happen to pause near the same bench and don't act like a hobbyist.

I grew up watching the men of my family smoke pipes. When I would go to NC, there was a General store (now convenience store) where men would chew or smoke pipes. Now, I see men in their cars smoking pipes in traffic. I see them in the seats outside the mall, the benches in town, walking their dog. Our Mayor smokes a pipe, as well as the Fire chief and a few police officers, but i have never seen the policemen smoking. They just stop to talk tobaccos every now and then. Maybe Alabama is just way more pipe oriented than where you guys are. We have The Briary which is a high end pipe gallery (I have yet to ever see another pipe shop of its size, selection, and quality, and several other crappy pipe shops that only carry a few bulks and maybe a handful of Savs and Petes. I see pipe tobacco in all of the convenience stores as well as a good selection of cheap cigars. My neighborhood alone has four of us pipe smokers, that I know of. I never have a problem setting in front of a store smoking my pipe alone. Always someone sets down top smoke a cigar or their pipe.

The majority of pipe smokers only smoke at home and while watching TV.
I sometimes wonder if you guys are just not observant or pessimists, or if I truly am lucky enough to live somewhere where you can always find another pipe smoker. But, all in all, so what? Like I want to talk to someone while I am smoking my pipe? Pipesmoking to me is something I do to pass the time, and I had rather not have someone asking me questions or bothering me while I smoke, making me take the pipe out of my mouth. The best smokes are uninterrupted smokes. Maybe you guys are luckier than you know.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Cosmic, you have become the old codger. Ha. I agree, though, I like to just smoke. The passing nod to one another is plenty of interaction for me. I remember the first time I had a new pipe smoker run up to me with a bunch of questions, including "Can I buy that pipe from P&C?" Nope, it was a commission from Tim Thorpe. The conversation was long and annoying, but I humored the guy to be nice. We are lucky in many respects. But, I am glad that you live in a place where you can see more guys out smoking pipes. I live in a tiny town, so you don't see people out that much at all, much less smoking pipes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Up here in Canuck-a-stan you'll rarely see it as they passed the law that you cannot smoke in parks, in public meeting places, in restaurants or bars. You may only smoke alone in your basement, with the lights off, after 8pm, on weekends, with a permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.