PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Was gonna do a poll, but I hate polls...so... onto just “discussion”...

I prefer my pipe smoking time to be absolutely “anti-social”. Just me, my thoughts, and MAYBE my dog (who doesn’t say much). If I’m smoking socially, it’s a cigar. I get the most enjoyment, flavors, and calmness when I smoke my pipes alone.

I love being a member here, and visit often, for the “social” part of the pipe smoking world. But when actually smoking? I prefer to be alone...

Any strong feelings on this?
Both, depending on my mood. I enjoy smoking with others and discussing whatever tobacco we happen to be smoking and just shooting the breeze in general. There are times, however, when I just want to be left alone entirely to smoke my pipe and put the world out of my thoughts and decompress.

Reactions: JOHN72

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
@marconi @chasingembers
I am constantly using both hands to do something else while smoking, especially while driving or working at the bench. But, ask me a question or try to converse where I have to pull my pipe out of my mouth, and it ruins the smoke, IMO, and ruins whatever it was I was working on. Plus, don't talk to me while I am working! My wife has no notion of this, but I've learned to just tune her out while I work.

For some of us clenchers, the whole enjoyment comes from a slow steady deliberate stream of smoke trickling in and out of our mouth, so to stop and take the pipe out of our clench, even if our hands are free, is an interruption to the whole smoking process.

I can listen (some of the time) no problem, but if you expect me to respond, just scram, get out of my yard, ha ha.
I have also learnt the art of non verbal communication with my wife whilst clenching a pipe between my teeth. Nodding and shaking of the head at the appropriate times becomes second nature was I born with this ability hot wired into my DNA? We will never know until it all goes tits up!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have decided you are all a bunch of pikers and hanging out with you is making me more stupid than I already am. Actually I really love youse guys and letting you watch me make a fool of myself makes some people days.

farlo

Lurker
Dec 31, 2017
Sorry, I guess I don't really care who I smoke with .I just smoke all the time in front of everybody, I guess if they like it or not. it's what happens when you get old!! And have smoked a pipe for 46 years, like it or walk away or chew my butt. which is happened occasionally, at this point in my life I guess I don't care. I'm out to make myself happy!!

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Sorry, I guess I don't really care who I smoke with .I just smoke all the time in front of everybody, I guess if they like it or not. it's what happens when you get old!! And have smoked a pipe for 46 years, like it or walk away or chew my butt. which is happened occasionally, at this point in my life I guess I don't care. I'm out to make myself happy!!
Age does this to some folks.

• Haha

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I used the word "like" in the sentence. Similes are way less gross than actually spitting into your pipe, ha ha.

And, just for the record, I didn't spin that phrase first. "Ball gag" was used on here to describe pipe rubbers, long before I got here. I am just now realizing what a ball gag even is used for... outside of pipesmoking, ha ha. I just thought is was a good way of thinking of the rubbers.
We'll that's your story and I know you are "sticking" to it, ha ha. I am sure we understood what you meant, but it seems like this crowd likes to get "unplugged and not be so bound up" enjoying a good double entendre from time to time.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I have also learnt the art of non verbal communication with my wife whilst clenching a pipe between my teeth. Nodding and shaking of the head at the appropriate times becomes second nature was I born with this ability hot wired into my DNA? We will never know until it all goes tits up!
Not so much non-verbal communication but you just reminded me that my dad and I would site at the dinner table and finish each others sentences (it used to infuriate my step-mother which as far as I was concerned made all the more worthwhile). Oddly though, over the years I have a had a couple of work colleagues where we would do the same thing - now if you really want to hack off your project manager, start doing this in project meetings. We did :sher:

(Amazing thing is that the project manager who got most irritated by this - it was a very large and complex project and she was not a techie and at first thought we did it to wind her up; then she got really worried when she realised that not only did I and Mike know what we were talking about we appeared to know what each other was thinking - is still very good friends with me and my former colleague Mike!)

tatter

Lurker
Nov 15, 2015
California
Out of necessity, i smoke alone, just no one around to smoke with. On the rare occasion that I have smoked with others, it's been great, I enjoy the camaraderie. Prior to Covid, I did make it to a local smoke shop but I am typically the only pipe smoker, nice folks there but most keep to themselves. Smoking on the poarch ssuits me just fine.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
It is kind of same with and without a pipe; sometimes I wish to talk and discuss, sometimes not. Smoking makes both situations feel very satisfying.

I think smoking makes conversation feel more enjoyable, as you have something to do while listening, and you can think your own sayings at length whilst drawing long and slow. Still, deep within I propably get the most out of a pipeful sitting alone.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I'm at my most content smoking alone, because it's a quiet, contemplative slice of me-time. Failing that, I'm almost as content being around people who understand the concept of a companionable silence. Silence isn't always a terrifying vacuum that needs to be filled with noise to keep the boogeyman away.

I'm also fine with a moderate amount of fun, light conversation. For instance, if we're playing cards or a board game, or just having a drink while catching up or whatever, that's okay by me.

I absolutely cannot stand people who have nothing to contribute to a conversation beyond "I only smoke the finest Ron Mexico vitolas, anything less is utterly beneath my pretentiously sophisticated tastes" or similar tedious horseshit. These people are such a drag.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and timelord