So you really can't cellar an aeromatic??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeson

Might Stick Around
Sep 24, 2010
A new guy question here. All the posts say you can't mason jar an aeromatic. Anybody done it? For a good long time in the jar? I don't want to waste good money on cellaring something unsuccessfully, so anyones help will be much appreciated.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
So far as I can tell, if they're jarred up nice and tight, they pretty much rest in state for a year or so, and then being to degrade. However, I'm sure there's a lot of wiggle room, based on what the tobacco is. I bet a hardly cased, light, light aromatic would last a long time in a cellar while some OTC cherry cough syrup blend would become a puddle in six months.

But this is all conjecture, based off of what I have read and heard.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
You can put it in a mason jar, but chances are it won't age like a Virginia would. This is due to the added casing on the tobacco. It kills off most of the good bacteria that is necessary for the tobacco to age. Some do claim that certain aro's do age slightly. These aro's are usually very high quality and contain no PG (propylene glycol) that most aro's contain. However, putting your aro's in a mason jar is an excellent idea. It will keep the tobacco from drying out and being useless.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
You can store aromatic blends in mason jars for a long time. Like Flat4 said; it won't age like a Virginia blend would.
Do not confuse 'Storing' and 'Aging'.

Storing tobacco is putting it in an airtight container to retain moisture. People do this and open the jar to remove tobacco for smoking whenever they want to smoke it.
Aging is putting it in an airtight container and leaving it for an extended amount of time (mostly years) for the purposes of aging the tobacco. People do NOT open the jar until it has some age on it.
Aging basically changes the way that a blend tastes. Every time that the jar is opened, it stops the aging process.
All tobaccos can be stored and/or aged. You can store aromatics the same way, but look at it this way; aromatics will keep for an extremely long time when kept in an airtight container, they just won't age much, if at all.
I have aromatic blends that have been stored in jars for years and they still taste like they should.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Thanks Bob,like Drew I was under the wrong impression on storing aeros - Good to know because there are a good deal I like to keep for posterity! (A fellow can learn a lot hanging around these chat threads!)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here are some comments from the now-defunct "Pipe Tobacco Aging, Storage and Cellaring FAQ."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aromatic tobaccos may or may not age, depending on the base tobaccos, and how they were flavored. Casing can kill the fauna that are responsible for the early phases of aging, so Captain Black, in all probability, will not age.
GL Pease, 2001-04-04

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since mass-market styled aromatics use low character base tobaccos and spray their top note or sweeteners, these tobaccos will actually decline in character over time. Heavy cased aromatics, both in bulk form and in packed form (pouch or tin) should be used "fresh" and not left to cellar. True cavendish processed aromatics, usually Danish produced, can be smoked now, but will continue to improve over a period of time of up to a year. After the first year little additional change will occur in the base tobacco of Danish Cavendish, although the flavor, sweetness and character will "hold" for several additional years under proper storage conditions.
R.C. Hamlin, 1995 Pipes Digest

The real problem, I believe, is that a majority of heavily sugared and sauced aromatics rely almost exclusively on the additives to provide flavour, using the lower grades of tobacco to simply carry the flavourings to the smoker, and provide some nicotine for body and "strength." These lower grades of leaf do not benefit from age. To cite the wine metaphor once more, no amount of aging will make a bottle of plonk anything more than old plonk, while a bottle of a grand cru will develop much of its complexity and bouquet only after years of bottle age.
It is not the fermentation, or cessation of fermentation through a hostile environment which produces the bad taste found in the tobacco equivalent of "old plonk." There is a difference between aged tobacco, and tobacco which has just gone stale, and that difference starts long before the aging process has worked its magic.
GL Pease, 1999-02-08

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
If you want to see an aromatic age and become better, put away some of Dan's Blue Note for a year and try it, it improves with aging quite a bit. I think VA based aros, most of which come from Europe will age and improve. The US types which use burley and are heavy with casings, will store for a long while but will not improve much.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah i have some aromatic blends that are over a year old myself in my cellar. Opened one yesterday and it tasted same as when i bought it.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I have some SWR in jars. the oldest was about 10 years and it's just like opening a sealed container new. Store it and leave it till you need it. It'll be fine.

Reactions: wernerat
Status
Not open for further replies.