PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
This post was prompted by my recent cracking of a tine of Rattray's Black Mallory. I know it gets decent reviews, but doesn't get a ton of mentions on a lot of threads. As I smoked it I found myself REALLY enjoy it and I began to ask myself, what other lesser known blends are out there for me to try and will I have enough time to get to them all?

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I agree, completely! There is a lot of group think on the Internet and a lot of great blends get mentioned once or twice in a thread, while others get so many mentions. Like, recently we had two back to back Balkan threads and they were Black House love fests. I haven't tried Black House and it is probably good, but its mention often drowns out the mention of other great blends.
Two "sleeper hits" I have found are Robert McConnell Oriental and Samuel Gawith Grousemoor. I admit it, I'm a Grousemoor whore. :lol:
Anyway, I fully agree, so many great tobaccos, so little time!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's why this is a very dangerous hobby. I'm glad I've found my regulars. Now I'm in the mode of adding to my pipe collection and picking up a new tin or two once a month.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I agree... I'm having to use restraint to have another TAD moment because I have about 10 tins of flakes that I have not even sampled in my stash. And another half dozen English unopened. I just tried Northwoods and it now competes with FM!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I have a list for my next TAD, but I would like to smoke some of my 40+ jars of bulk tobacco and 20+ tins, but there are so many blends out there that I would like to try it's hard to resist!

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've smoked far more blends over the years than I can remember.Yet new blends are appearing on the market so often that I continue to get farther behind.There's just not enough time to try them all.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I keep ordering, but I'm not opening a lot of tins lately. I'm trying to make my way through the stuff I have in jars before hitting the tins. Of course, I could just buy more jars but then I won't get to know a new blend very well if I have one bowl a month due to constantly changing blends.
However, I do have some Black House on the way. :)

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I keep ordering, but I'm not opening a lot of tins lately. I'm trying to make my way through the stuff I have in jars before hitting the tins. Of course, I could just buy more jars but then I won't get to know a new blend very well if I have one bowl a month due to constantly changing blends.
Me too. What I usually end up doing is opening stuff that I know won't change in a bad way, smoke a few bowls of it, and either put it away or put it into my rotation. Currently I have about 6 tobaccos in regular rotation (that get smoked about once or twice per week). It can be extra hard on those of us who are only bowl-a-day smokers. I've recently upped that to twice per day when I can. :lol: And so it begins...

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I don't think i myself will get to them all because so many new ones come out all the time and there are many who will never come to the USA . so enjoy as many as yoou can while you can still puff. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This post was prompted by my recent cracking of a tine of Rattray's Black Mallory. I know it gets decent reviews, but doesn't get a ton of mentions on a lot of threads. As I smoked it I found myself REALLY enjoy it
I don't see much mention of Rattray's stuff here at all, with an exception or two. Very few of us sing the praises of McCranie's blends, either - I'm one of them who is a firm believer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you are into flakes I can give you a bunch of names that are not very main stream. For example:
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Brown Virginia Flake and Golden Virginia Flake

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Vintage

Astley's no 44 Dark Flake
All of these are in my regular rotation and a big part of my cellar. If you would like more let me know. As far as Rattray's, I have tried almost all of them and used to smoke them years ago, but have found other stuff I like better. I found that they use too much red virginia's in a lot of their blends and they tend to bite me.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
cigrmaster I think you have sold people on Wessex BCDF because it is sold out at 4noggins. ;)
Would you mind describing the similarities/differences between the BCDF and Astley's No. 44?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Another one that doesn't get nearly the amount of coverage is W.O. Larsen. I've yet to try one of theirs that isn't wonderful...
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.