So is US Pipe Smoking on the Rise... Or Decline?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Is US Pipe Smoking Growing?

• Yes! New folks are finding their way to the Briar!

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Pretty balanced. We're not going anywhere.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Nope. Shrinking. Cellar up now!

Votes: 51 46.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Also, whilst I don't want to be an activist, I decided that I am going to get myself a handful of cobs,
Dont do it. I tried a cob in my first few months of pipe smoking and was completely disgusted by it.

I cant really understand why anyone would want to smoke burning wood and a guaranteed wet finish to the bowl due to the misaligned draft hole.

Giving someone with a mild interest in pipe smoking a cob might just lose them forever.

If a cob had been the first pipe i smoked, i think my pipe smoking would have ended right there.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
never smoked cob. one of my friends showed interest in pipes, so got him a petes system standard 303 sandblasted. i would have liked that as my first pipe.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Imo theres nothing wrong with them if you know what you are getting into, but someone just starting out wouldnt know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I decided that I am going to get myself a handful of cobs,
Excellent idea.?

Imo theres nothing wrong with them if you know what you are getting into, but someone just starting out wouldnt know.
They're one of the most forgiving pipes to new smokers. I hold them up to artisan pieces and meers. My Dunhills found the trash can while my cobs are still in rotation.

Reactions: Bowie

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Dont do it. I tried a cob in my first few months of pipe smoking and was completely disgusted by it.

I cant really understand why anyone would want to smoke burning wood and a guaranteed wet finish to the bowl due to the misaligned draft hole.

Giving someone with a mild interest in pipe smoking a cob might just lose them forever.

If a cob had been the first pipe i smoked, i think my pipe smoking would have ended right there.

Interesting. I started with a cob myself and to this day it is my favorite for a vaper and to take fishing. I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it has worked for me.

But one path tried for one is not always the best for another. I’ll keep my eye out for a basket pipe or two as well.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
One of the biggest problems is there is no place left to smoke, except home. Where I live, I think have never seen a pipe smoker, in 18 years. As far as I know, excluding drugstore blends sold at the odd cigarette store, there is no B&M to buy pipe tobacco of any quality in the state of Maine. I'd have to drive at least 100 miles, probably 200. Even in Boston, how many places are there besides Peretti ?

On a vaguely hopeful note, what goes out of style sometimes comes back. Time will tell how many of the twenty-somethings actually stick with it.

Reactions: docrameous
Status
Not open for further replies.