Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
So, I went to Peterson's pipe shop today after getting a full tour of the city. Dublin is nice city and I hope to return someday after this quick business trip weekend. Ireland has a wonderful pipe making and smoking history. In the Guinness factory I saw a 1960's commercial wherein a man is prominently smoking a pipe. The cab driver was clearly proud of Peterson's being an Irish company. And, there are many pictures of pipe smoking leprechauns around the city. However, as with everywhere, the no smoking laws and extremely excessive tobacco taxes will probably take their toll.
As for the shop itself, it is small but nice. The folks working there were extremely helpful. Their pipe inventory was low (smokingpipes.com has a larger Peterson's inventory in my opinion). However, this was made up by the fact that EVERYTHING in the store was 20% off! With their already cheaper prices and when you get a VAT refund, the pipes in here were inexpensive. (Just don't buy tobacco. It's easily double what you pay in the U.S.)
I went full on with the first pipe. A system standard P-lip donegal rocky! You can't get much more Peterson than that. I also bought a higher grade Rosslare having silver on the stem and bit. I think I'll go back tomorrow. I had my eye on the 2012 pipe of the year. I mean it is 20% off.
20140111_150810_zpsfqcx8hym.jpg

20140111_150817_zpsqtcxhev0.jpg

20140111_151234_zpslfqmfake.jpg

20140111_152030_zpstq1vkqin.jpg

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
Great Pics!!! Hopefully one day I can get to that side of the pond.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Petersons have a sale on?!!?!?!? I know where I am going after my philosophy exam on Monday now :D While the interior of Petersons looks great thanks to the massive wall of pipes and the really neat walk in humidor I think James Fox is a far more interesting shop to be in, could browse in there for hours.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
@ Natibo - I have been smoking the 2012 POY quite regularly for the past year and have found it to be a fine pipe.

FWIW I recommend it. It does have a small bit, but if you are okay with that it should do well by you.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hey Natibo-- you are one lucky man. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us – the pics are just wonderful and gave me that "you are there" feeling. Right now I'm doing the math to see how many pipes I would need to buy at their discounted prices in order to make up for the airfare to Dublin. Does the immediate future hold a trip to James Fox in it? After all, no trip to Dublin would be complete without going into both these shops.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great pics natibo - thanks for taking the time to upload during your trip.
Please keep sharing more if you have 'em - much appreciated!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your pipes look delicious. You went pipe-crazy at the right place at the right time.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I know you're shooting the store, but that first shot! Couldn't you have waited 1 second more for the lass?
Edit: I should have warned you that Trinity is right across the street. I could spend a day on that corner, trying new blends and wishing I was 20 again.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
That is just plain awesome. I hope to make it there someday myself. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on great pipes and a great trip.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
My wife bought me that very same pipe for Christmas, except in except in ebony, but also a p-lip and system.
Agree: P-lip + system + Donegal is as Pete as can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.