PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
It is a small one but seems to work pretty good. I'm planning to use it on pipes, but wanted to ask if anyone has experience with these. Should I wax the pipe and then engrave or engrave and then wax. I'm not sure if it will matter, but wanted to get opinions. I'm working on a project right now and will post pics when it is done.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Waxing won't matter- there's not enough residue to load up in the engraving. I wouldn't try any buffing compounds after engraving... i'd be intersted in seeing how that works for you- i've been thinking about one...

Thanks,

Zack

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Well you got my interest. I dont have a stamp and is next but I will look into a laser engraver. Had not really thought much about it..

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Engraving before wax works best. I tried both and the result before wax is way cleaner. The pipe I'm making is a surprise for somenone so I will wait to post pics but the result turned out pretty good. And I'll be able to engrave my logo on pipes once I figure out what that is going to look like. The engraver I got is a small one from Amazon. For the price I think it is a good little investment, but it only does small items.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Should I wax the pipe and then engrave or engrave and then wax."
I can't give you an answer myself but I can tell you that on Upshall pipes, it appears that the engraving was the last process in the making of the pipe which is why their engraving stands out against whatever finish was applied to the rest of the pipe.
Regards,
Jay.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I've played around with a laser engraver on leather. I know this doesn't help answer your question but they are a fun little machine once you figure them out. Do yourself a big favour and practice on similar shapes and grains of wood before you do your final product.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting idea, the laser engraver. How easy is it to set up and vary the imaging or lettering for a pipe? Is it such that you could use it for applying a pattern or design to the briar (or other wood)? Or is it primarily just for a pipe stamp? Is this a fairly expensive tool or has the price come down to a consumer level?

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I would like to know more too. Interesting.
I have an engraver made for things like trophy plates and would like to try it on a pipe some day. Too many projects, too little time for play.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
It's a great little machine. I did many test runs before the final. I'll post pics next week after it arrives to its new owner.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Decided to do this, got the 1500W version, $92 shipped.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1500mW-laser-engraving-machine-DIY-cnc-router-USB-laser-cutter-Automatic-Laser-Engraver-Off-line-Operation/32812142365.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4WOgMs

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pretty nifty little gizmo for under $100.

1500mW-Laser-Engraver-DIY-cnc-router-USB-laser-cutter-Automatic-laser-engraving-machine-Off-line-Operation.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm curious to know how it deals with curved surfaces...as in many pipe shanks. I know it can be done as I have several Upshall pipes that are engraved but I'm blown if I can figure out how it works.
Regards,
Jay.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I have a friend (yes, no really, seriously I do have friends) that has this same type of engraver, and has used it to engrave wooden pens he makes. Overall it seems to do a good job. I have noticed on some of the lighter woods it seems to burn the wood creating somewhat of a scorched area around the lettering (mostly on the less dense wood types). Maybe on burl or other darker, dense woods, and using bigger lettering or graphics it wont be as noticeable.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
It will be interesting to see how the machine does on curves. The curve of a stem is pretty sharp for such a 'flat oriented' machine, but the lettering is small and therefore won't cover much of the curve. Of course, a sophisticated CNC machine can travel over the curves with no issues, if the programmer knows his stuff, but that probably isn't necessary for our pipe work.

Watching!

Status
Not open for further replies.