PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
Title edited. -jpm

So it's finally happend I've finally decided to buy a filter pipe.

Sick of tired of all the cleaning and worrying about tongue bite. All at a grand total of £24!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Servant King

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's hard to cure tongue bite just by buying a cheap pipe. Might have been cheaper to just learn to smoke the pipe properly. But, I wish you well.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I hope you like filtered pipe smoking. I never cared for it. I am not a smoker that creates much moisture in the pipe and that is the main purpose of a filter. The best way to cure tongue bite is to smoke slowly, patiently and experience the smoke entering the mouth. If you pay attention to how you draw in the smoke you can eliminate most tongue bite. IMHO

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most filter pipes smoke fine with or without a filter, so once you feel comfortable with it, you can try milder blends without the filter if you want. Filters are especially popular in Europe, but I have found pipes from there (Austria for example) smoke just as well without the filters. Starting out with a pipe, I found tongue bite all but disappeared when I stopped smoking aromatics and stuck to non-aros for a while. Now I smoke aromatics as a change of pace, but mostly non-aromatics. Using the filters, just be sure to change them regularly or they will impart a bad taste.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I would say why not try a Falcon. They make for a cooler smoke and don't lose much flavor and pretty easy to clean. There is also the international model of stem which can take a dry ring (pipe cleaner, also fluffed out cotton balls work too) and a traditional filter as well.
I hope it works out for you. Personally I find filters to be more trouble and little benefit.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
What did you get? Many people enjoy filter pipes and there are many respected pipe makers who have them in their lineup.

I’ve recently decided to try filters as I have a few 9mm pipes and some cobs that take filters but I’ve never tried them. Have to say I definitely enjoy them both quite a bit and they do reduce tongue bite, but do change/mute certain flavours. But if you are sensitive to certain tobaccos, filters can help get some enjoyment from those blends that give you a bit of trouble.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Inexpensive pipes cover a wide range of quality levels, from genuine clunkers that don't smoke well, or if they do, don't last long, to pipes that smoke as well as any and will last out a lifetime. Whether you lucked out or not, if you keep window shopping and learning brands, materials, and quality points, you can get a whole lot of pipe for a modest price in many cases. Expensive pipes have many virtues, but a good smoking pipe can come at any price.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
From a previous posting....I have several Savinelli filter pipes I use to smoke an occasional aromatic. Here's how to save money on the filters. Instead of buying the actual filters I go on ebay and buy a pack of balsa wood rods in the right size (3/16x1/8"). I cut them to length and that's it. Cost is about 10% the cost of filters and they work just as well. A tip: if you cut the ends on a slight angle the pipe draws better.

The Savinellis are great for an aromatic, but if you smoke English there are better smoking brands and you should not need filters.

Reactions: clynch

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
My criteria for any pipe is the ability to easily pass a pipe cleaner to the bowl.

I do this mid-smoke. It usually comes back dry. If any moisture, I turn it around and insert it again, gently tap out the ashes and go.

The purpose of course is to control moisture, which for me, happens more in the cooler weather as condensation.

You cannot pass a pipe cleaner into a pipe with a filter. So the moisture remains within, trapped by a soggy filter.

I prefer filterless pipes and the method that I’ve described. One pipe cleaner is all I need.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Cool. If you don't like the filter, just chuck the filter. Pipe should be good without it. No filtered pipes for me, but I do like my Marlboro Red with filter.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
My criteria for any pipe is the ability to easily pass a pipe cleaner to the bowl.

I do this mid-smoke. It usually comes back dry. If any moisture, I turn it around and insert it again, gently tap out the ashes and go.

The purpose of course is to control moisture, which for me, happens more in the cooler weather as condensation.

You cannot pass a pipe cleaner into a pipe with a filter. So the moisture remains within, trapped by a soggy filter.

I prefer filterless pipes and the method that I’ve described. One pipe cleaner is all I need.
You can pass a pipe cleaner through a Brigham and through a Dr Grabow filter in a cob with no effort

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I'm new to pipes. This was a good post and very informational. I had to look up what a falcon is. I see Nording offers several that are falcon like. I have a savinelli and enjoy it with and without the filter.