PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
...if one had an insurance medical, how long would it take for nicotine to clear your system?
I have googled and found a few different lengths depending on blood/urine/hair, and whether they test for nicotine or a by-product, but I am looking for anecdotal first-hand experience. Also, would the amount of smoking be a factor?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Depends on your metabolism. My experience wouldn't be exactly what yours would be. Too many variables as you learned. Have your doctor take a sample, test and then retest a few times over a number of days. Expensive? Sure. How bad do you want the information?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Hummmmm... well, you might be able to say you use Nicorette?
That would explain the nicotine and show them that you aren't smoking.....at the moment.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Have your doctor take a sample, test and then retest a few times over a number of days.
Take it from a highly trained insurance professional- don't do that. Any tests you have performed usually will be part of the MIB which contains your medical information and can be accessed by any insurance company when you apply for insurance. On a larger policy with underwriting, they will normally request a copy of your physician's records as well....
To clear all the by products of nicotine from the test will take a week to a month depending on how much you smoke...

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I can't believe you'd hypothetically lie to an insurance company. They are here to make our lives better out of the kindness of their heart and deserve to be treated with honesty and respect :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Rest assured that a hypothetical insurance company will not pay out on a hypothetical claim if they suspect deception on the part of the hypothetically insured. So if you hypothetically develop a hypothetical cancer that could be attributed to smoking, and you already claimed to be a non-smoker, they are likely to investigate. That could include looking at your (hypothetical) internet life.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
This is one reason to love my retired military health care. We are too well armed for those sorts of exclusions.
:D

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I do so love my insurance, which is a non-profit industry wide plan. They don't give a shit about smoking. I'll be 65 at the end of the year, and then it's Medicare with my plan coverage as the back up if I retire. Otherwise it's my industry plan with Medicare as the back up if I remain working.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
sable: we are in a similar situation. My retirement plan is closed. Closed many years ago and is making more moneys, through investment, as the membership shrinks due to deaths. My goal is to be the last living member and split the huge sum with the Municipality. Unfortunately I'll have to make it into the hundreds. So some other ex-firefighter or cop will will reap the pot of gold. I, sincerely if grudgingly, hope he/she is young enough to thoroughly enjoy it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A friend of mine changed his life insurance carrier,but hadn't consider the blood test required. He said he was a non-smoker. He quit for three weeks and got a clean report. His wife, who was worried about this, was popped for a slightly high cholesterol level and has to be checked annually, and the premium had a slight increase. On the day my friend and his wife rec'd these notifications, a pipe had just been delivered. My friend showed his wife the pipe and said "you need to start smoking a pipe and get healthy". My friend is a great guy.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
The trick is to find the companies which invest wisely. Failed or failing companies never seem to produce a return. It's good to hold the right type of shares in successful company. Investing is their primary purpose, not paying claims. I like a company which is careful with payouts, investments, does both well and sends me a bit of money now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.