PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I had to find out where the tin note was coming from. So I asked the blend owner, Greg. I didn't use the four letter word. Asked him politely where is that "pungent, earthy, horse manure or organic fertilizer" aroma coming from. Per him, it's due to burley and a lot of perique that's giving that note. It does have rum based topping, but that's not contributing too much to the tin note.

Knowing where the tin note is coming from, I actually feel better. I won't sniff it all day, but I might get used to it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I love GLP Westminster and quiet nights. His English blends are excellent. Have not been overly impressed with union square so far, but it’s good enough and I’ll gladly finish my tin and reserve judgment until then.

Honestly I love the barnyard smell you’re describing. How do like Haddos over all?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I love GLP Westminster and quiet nights. His English blends are excellent. Have not been overly impressed with union square so far, but it’s good enough and I’ll gladly finish my tin and reserve judgment until then.

Honestly I love the barnyard smell you’re describing. How do like Haddos over all?
I enjoy Haddo's Delight quite a bit. But only into few bowl at the moment to really say much about it. Tin note is definitely distinct for me. It's developing dark fruit note in the jar. Will see how it is by the end of the jar.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Haddo's Delight is a blend I think I would really like. Therefore I'm afraid to try it and find out I was right, and then feel the need to buy a bunch to cellar
Somebody said it! I have two tins in my cellar already but have yet to smoke any of this blend...there are a lot of blends I need to try and would love to stock but just don't NEED anymore! That is until I smoke them :LOL:

Haddo was a pseudonym for Allister Crowley. It is meant to simulate his favorite tobacco blend. When an alcohol is added to tobacco, it changes the dynamics of the aroma of both. Like Bothy Flake has scotch in it, but it comes across as more of a fruity smell, and Bagpipers Dream has Cognac, but it smells more like a men's cologne.

Think about how mint mixed with garlic in meatballs has it's own distinctive aroma that seems to have nothing to do with either mint or garlic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really enjoyed a tin of HD, but haven't ordered another. I have encountered several blends that have a strong horse stall odor, and assume it is organic matter decomposing, hopefully nothing from a digestive tract. I smoke slowly in terms of using up tins, so I have many good blends on hand, so not reordering is just routine. I might reorder if I needed a blend. I tend to order what is new for me that sounds intriguing, or what is on sale.

Reactions: BROBS

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I can't imagine anyone not liking Haddo's.

When GL Pease blends eventually go under, those tins are going to be worth a small fortune. I'd wager they will be worth more than anything else in the GL Pease line.

Hopefully that's a few lifetimes from now so others can continue to enjoy it.

Incredible stuff.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016

When GL Pease blends eventually go under, those tins are going to be worth a small fortune. I'd wager they will be worth more than anything else in the GL Pease line.

Incredible stuff.

Agreed that GLP blends are present-day "heyday" blends that people will keep talking about once they're gone. Even though it's no longer en vogue to like latakia, I love English blends, and am stocking Westminster and Quiet Nights, which are quite possibly my favorite latakia blends, along with Russ Oulette's White Knight (which I'm stocking as well and which is also another likely blend to be coveted and reminisced upon once off market).

Reactions: Elric and BROBS

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Incredible stuff.
Dang it. Just ordered a bunch of Pease, but skipped over this. This thread has me thinking I deprived myself by not grabbing a measly 2 oz to see what's what.

Incidentally, what makes Pease likely to go off market? Just the general slow-death of pipe tobacco blenders? Or something specific to GL pease it/himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.