PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I lived in California for about a year and a half, combining Navy boot camp at San Diego, and after Vietnam, being home-ported on a minesweeper in Long Beach which adjoins L.A. Never in my pre-dawn assignments or liberty weekend wanderings did I ever think about snow. Later I visited California on vacations and business, both San Francisco and L.A. again, with no snow ever in mind.

But here in the past week were TV news pictures of snow banks in L.A., and even the Hollywood sign with a dusting of snow. I can't imagine the cities have any snow-clearing gear, though they may have brought in a few plows from the mountains. And of course, this being California, the melt-off will come soon and happen fast. Still, snow in L.A., maybe even in sable's Burbank, it just doesn't seem right.

Here in central North Carolina, during the month of February, we had two days that got over eighty degrees. No comment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I lived in California for about a year and a half, combining Navy boot camp at San Diego, and after Vietnam, being home-ported on a minesweeper in Long Beach which adjoins L.A. Never in my pre-dawn assignments or liberty weekend wanderings did I ever think about snow. Later I visited California on vacations and business, both San Francisco and L.A. again, with no snow ever in mind.

But here in the past week were TV news pictures of snow banks in L.A., and even the Hollywood sign with a dusting of snow. I can't imagine the cities have any snow-clearing gear, though they may have brought in a few plows from the mountains. And of course, this being California, the melt-off will come soon and happen fast. Still, snow in L.A., maybe even in sable's Burbank, it just doesn't seem right.

Here in central North Carolina, during the month of February, we had two days that got over eighty degrees. No comment.
I remember snow in the San Fernando Valley when I was a kid.

There was flooding in the SFV, though not in Burbank, and only a tiny bit of snow that melted off shortly after daybreak. Mostly it was just soaking wet, and the sidewalks were like ponds. That's quite an improvement from 60 years ago when I went to school in the rain and the streets were flooded enough that it spilled over onto the sidewalks and you were maybe ankle deep in water on those.

THE SFV is a flood plain, and every now and then, people get stranded and have to be rescued from the roofs of their cars. With all the drought, people either forgot, or haven't experienced it since moving to California, but that used to be part of living here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I never thought flooding would sound reassuring to me, but here it is, it does. Thank you for the historical perspective.