Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Howdy folks!

Okay, so I’ve got a pipe with a pretty cleanly snapped stem. It’s a “Preben Holm Fancy 300, Hand Made In Denmark.”

I’m reasonably certain the stem is acrylic. It fits in-place perfectly which of course tells me the snap is clean. No little missing pieces.

Notice the obstruction? I’m betting I’ll need a dental pick (???) A cleaner won’t push through it. Again though the stem “holds in place” perfectly ?

Recommendations on how to best fix it very genuinely appreciated! May I safely use CA (superglue, Locktite, etc.)? I don’t want anyone to breathe in anything bad after the repair.

As an aside, this estate Freehand is unsmoked. I like it and it’d be a shame for it to not see usage from someone who would love it. In fact it may end up in my collection.

Anyway, lay that advice on me, please, if you’d be so kind!

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
CA glue isn’t going to cut it. There’s not enough surface area on the break to hold without it breaking again.

If I wanted to keep the stem, I would put a replacement tenon in place. Otherwise, just cutting a whole new stem is usually the best way.

And if you can’t do the work yourself, then send it out.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
looks like it was glued previously.
I wonder if glue got in the shank?

the tenon should be able to be replaced.

Reactions: diamondback

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I would send it out to a professional to have it repaired. They have all of the proper tools to remove the broken piece without further damage and can make a replacement stem for it. But that's just me.
Me too. I would send it off to get a replacement stem. I used Briarville and they did a great job.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Okay, the “send it in” crowd wins :)

I really like the stem but it’s no great loss to the world if I end up with a new one. In this case, I’m going to buy it from the estate.

Now I need arguments for convincing the wife I need another pipe! lol Honestly the more I see and handle it the more I like it. Plus it’s a virgin estate - appears to be factory bowl coating only.

Thanks all, much appreciated!

@BROBS, that’s an interesting observation. I do wonder if it’s been previously glued. There’s another angle where there’s a ‘haze’ on the portion that’s protruding from the stummel, which lends some credence to your theory. IE: looks kind of like an old glue job.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.