PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
I would be interested to see what many of your preferences are for your individual Pipe Collections, do you prefer smooth, sandblasted or rusticated?

As for me, I have a pretty sizable collection and at least 85% is smooth. I love to see the fine grain, to see that craftsmanship. Of course in some of my rusticated ones, there is true beauty as well...
Dan

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If had to choose one forever it would be smooth, although rusticated and sandblasted finishes have grown on me. My collection is probably 80% smooth.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I find that the finish on a pipe is at least secondary, if not further down the list, in deciding which pipes to adopt.
Beginning with no plan or goal, I've determined through natural selection that I prefer more traditional shapes and I seem to have a 50-50% split between smooth and other finishes.
I am beginning to support the notion that smooth pipes smoke warmer (shed heat less quickly) than other finishes, as well. Now that my cadence is developed a bit past uber-noob, it's less of an issue but worth mention.
Looking at my first string smokers, I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite group based on finish.
jay-roger.jpg

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
As someone who grew up in my father’s wood shop, I enjoy the finish of a fine grain, burl and Birdseye so smooth is my preference. But I admit to owning cobs and some rusticated pipes due to price.

Status
Not open for further replies.