PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Besides the great customer service that Smokingpipes offers, the fact that they take the time to photograph and present each individual pipe they have for sale has completely spoiled me for all other online retailers. As a graphic designer, aesthetics are very important to me and I greatly appreciate the fact that I can inspect any pipe I may consider purchasing for differences in grain, stain, and nuance in shape even between pipes of the same make and model. They've set the bar in this regard and I've largely stopped looking at other sites because they'll typically show the best example of any model they may offer with a caveat that the pipe you receive may differ from the one in their listing. Do you know of any other US based retailer that photographs each individual pipe they have for sale?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Especially where they have several examples of a particular pipe, the photos are invaluable. The variation on some of the pipes is noticeable, and you might want a particular one but not the others. SP just knows what they are doing, in management and customer service. When you spoil the customers, they keep coming back. Why wouldn't we?

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I love them as well but if they are ever out of stock on something I go with TobaccoPipes
Tobaccopipes offers incredible customer service and they are my next choice when it comes to tobacco. A few months back I was considering buying a pipe from them and wrote to them asking if the pipe featured in the listing was available. They replied saying that it was not but they did send me photos of one of the same model with very similar grain. Unfortunately there were visible fills in the pipe which made me decided to pass. I did appreciate their effort but it still doesn't beat SP's standard practice of showing you the exact pipe you'd be able to purchase.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Especially where they have several examples of a particular pipe, the photos are invaluable. The variation on some of the pipes is noticeable, and you might want a particular one but not the others. SP just knows what they are doing, in management and customer service. When you spoil the customers, they keep coming back. Why wouldn't we?
They really set the standard for customer experience. Most pipe smokers I know are quite discerning and SP's understanding of their customer base and the effort they put in to cater to this audience puts them ahead of other retailers.

Reactions: RobNYC

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
I agree wholeheartedly! I have been shopping with SPC since2014 and I consider myself a discerning costumer. I have never looked at a product on their site without knowing exactly what to expect, and what I expect is always what I get, be it pipes, accessories or tobacco. They have spoiled me to the point that I get frustrated when I look at most other online retailers.
They really set the standard for customer experience. Most pipe smokers I know are quite discerning and SP's understanding of their customer base and the effort they put in to cater to this audience puts them ahead of other retailers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been dong business with SP since the beginning over 20 years ago I believe. Never once have I ever had a problem with an order. Their pictures are great and it makes buying pipes much easier than most places. There is one place though whose pics are better. Now I don't know anything about Photoshop and if Al Pascia is using it to hide fills or any thing else( that would be totally uncool, but I just don't see how they could possibly put that many pipe pics on their site and then have the time for Photoshopping a huge number. Even if they stuck to high dollar pipes it would be an immense project and I don't see how it could be financially viable.
Al's pictures are the best and Sp is up there but they just don't have the same quality.
When you are an old man having issues with color blindness, I appreciate both Al and SP. PC is a joke. Even when Jeff owned it and they were my go to for tobacco their pipe department sucked.

Here is my first ashtray I bought from SP a very ,ong time ago. Been looking for another for some time.

Just found another item that I bought a long time from SP. It is made by Sheffield, and holds 7 pipes tons of tins , a lap top any accessory you can think of and it was a work horse for a long time.

Last edited:

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I thought most retailers photographed the actual pipe these days? The only one I know of that stubbornly refuses to get with the program is Pipes & Cigars.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I have been dong business with SP since the beginning over 20 years ago I believe. Never once have I ever had a problem with an order. Their pictures are great and it makes buying pipes much easier than most places. There is one place though whose pics are better. Now I don't know anything about Photoshop and if Al Pascia is using it to hide fills or any thing else( that would be totally uncool, but I just don't see how they could possibly put that many pipe pics on their site and then have the time for Photoshopping a huge number. Even if they stuck to high dollar pipes it would be an immense project and I don't see how it could be financially viable.
Al's pictures are the best and Sp is up there but they just don't have the same quality.
When you are an old man having issues with color blindness, I appreciate both Al and SP. PC is a joke. Even when Jeff owned it and they were my go to for tobacco their pipe department sucked.

Here is my first ashtray I bought from SP a very ,ong time ago. Been looking for another for some time.

Just found another item that I bought a long time from SP. It is made by Sheffield, and holds 7 pipes tons of tins , a lap top any accessory you can think of and it was a work horse for a long time.
I don't think Al Pascia uses photoshop to hide fills in their pipes. The fact that they also post videos of their pipes for sale shows that they are truly representing the product as you will receive it upon purchase. I do find them to be pricier all around on their products though. Still, it's reassuring to know the pipe you see is the very one you'll be sent.