PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
I'm considering consolidating my collection from the unreasonable state it's in right now to maybe about a dozen or so pipes I smoke very regularly.

I'm looking for people to share their personal experience with trading in pipes with SmokingPipes.com

A. How much of your expected value did you get?
B. What's the turnaround time like?

Much oblige in advance for your time and attention.

Reactions: rushx9

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Have you first tried selling them online at a price you think they are worth?

It all depends on your personal expectations, in my opinion, rather than the experience of others. And it will also depend a lot on what you have to sell.

If you want it quick and easy, sending a lot in to a reseller is the way to go if they'll take them.

If you want to maximize what they are worth and have a little time, I'd try selling them on your own before going somewhere on a commission.

Like most things in life, the easy route offers the least return.

I inquired about a service like this and was told that I could expect a certain price, in the best circumstances.
I decided to sell it on my own and it sold for over double what I was told I could expect on a commission.

Depends on how much it is worth to you and how much of a hurry you are in. Good luck!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I’ve had excellent experiences doing this with smokingpipes. Often times the store credit they’ve offered me was equal to or more than what I could expect to sell the pipes for elsewhere. For times that their offer wasn’t what I was hoping for, they very quickly mailed my pipes right back to me. Highly recommended by me.

Have you first tried selling them online at a price you think they are worth?
I agree that you could possibly get more than what sp would offer you. But, my experience with selling things online are that you would have to already have a following of pipe people on your ebay. Or, else it just sets there like dead weight.

If you are talking about some really nice pipes, you might also consider using Pipestud.

I have no idea what sp pays, but I do know that Pipestud seems to make his customers happy, as I have never heard anyone complain about him.

Reactions: Bengel

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I've traded into SP and had a mixed experience. Some pipes they took and offered a fair price, others they didn't yet the pipes were in good condition. I have had much better luck having Chance from Great Estate Pipes on ebay sell my pipes. He got me more for my pipes that I think I would have and that's even counting for his cut. He cleans them up, sells them and only charges 35% I wouldn't hesitate to use him again. Sometimes having an established name in the market sell your pipes is worth paying for.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I agree that you could possibly get more than what sp would offer you
I should have qualified that with saying that I have very limited experience selling pipes online. I've sold just a few. I don't like the process either.

The latest and only pipe I had "appraised" was fairly expensive. The vendor in question hadn't even seen it, but knew what it was because they sold it to me. Assuming it was in as pristine condition as I said it was, this (I'll keep it private) was the maximum amount offered.
I more than doubled that in a private sale. Which makes a bit of sense. They needed their cut, so I sort of assumed it was about 40-60% less than what they expected (and what I wanted before even contacting them).

I listed it as a "Buy it now" auction. I think that is the key, which I didn't mention. A straight up auction and you may get screwed, due to lower traffic than the major resellers. A "buy it now" auction is free and you can go on forever, if you have patience.
I had low ball offers, etc., but I knew what I would part with it for and left it up until someone eventually bought it.

It took about 3 weeks or so and e-bay got their 5 or 10% cut (I can't remember). I'm only suggesting that if you have time and an idea of what it is worth, I'd first put it up at that price before contacting a reseller, which absolutely have their value in certain conditions.

But that's just me. I can be stingy when it comes to saving a buck... or several hundred of them.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I always had a good experience. They’d send me their offer within a day or two of receiving my pipe. I got pretty good at guessing what they’d offer too.

My last try didn’t go as expected though. I sent one in a couple weeks ago. It took nearly a week for them to send me their offer and when they did I was almost insulted lol. They really lowballed me this time!

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Almost every pipe I own came from guys on here. Some trade for bacci some just sell. Personal attachment aside if you are trying to get new prices for them you may not move many unless they are highly coveted makes or one offs from a specific maker.
It is nice to know that it’s going to a good home that will respect it and take care of it like the guys on here would commit to do. Luck to you my friend. Would love to see what you are offering.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Status
Not open for further replies.