PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Just saw the banner for the Castello collaboration today, as far as I'm aware that's the 3rd pipe collaboration collection this year to celebrate SP.com's 20th anniversary: Savenelli and Tom Eltang being the first two.

I have a complaint (more of a moan) and a question.

So again the 2/3 pipes I actually had my eye on in the banner photo is not for sale. Or not listed yet. Or already sold? But aren't sold pipes usually just moved to a grey banner at the bottom of the page? Ok, I'll stop peddling conspiracies here.

I had my eye on two Aristocratica-esque stain jobs and a natural vergin finish pipe, which all were beautiful but I guess not available to commonfolk. The same thing happened when the Tom Eltang line launched. There were 1 or 2 - a natural rusticated finish and a light stain flame grain finish, that were featured in all the banners and advertising photos but was not actually for sale.

I guess the question is kind of rhetorical at this point, but: why do you think the pipes aren't really selling? You usually can't click "Add to Cart" quick enough with the unique Tom Eltang rustication, but there's a couple dozen of them sitting on the site right now, and even more smooth versions.

Would love to know how these collaborations came about, if anyone knows anything or have a link to further reading to share, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Happy smokes!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess the question is kind of rhetorical at this point, but: why do you think the pipes aren't really selling? You usually can't click "Add to Cart" quick enough with the unique Tom Eltang rustication, but there's a couple dozen of them sitting on the site right now, and even more smooth versions.
So far all of the collaboration pieces I've seen have been terribly unattractive. If they had gone with Castello's full bent egg I would have been all over it. The Savinelli offering was a shape I'll never own and I've never cared much for Eltang's work.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’d guess people don’t trust anything with a gimmick. The grain seems to be lacking a bit compared to castellos other offerings in those price ranges. “Special Editions” seem to be a great excuse to sell $250 pipes for $500.

They are also quite short, which may turn some folks off.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
They sell/got sold and don't 'archive' at the bottom. I bought one of the handful of silver cap Petersons 20 anniversary since SP's owns them, liked the shape+blast. Passed on the Sav's, already have a bunch of Eltangs. Not blown away but did like some of the new offerings....but at $500-$700, not quite. Totally relative to personal situation of course.....but once you get above $400 that stops being a no-thought impulse DI purchase (again, speaking only relative to me). While I almost pulled the trigger on one....what $500+ buys me in my other vices is a bit more attractive.

20200620_091803.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
I like the Sav 320 20th Anniversary...View attachment 33823
They sell/got sold and don't 'archive' at the bottom. I bought one of the handful of silver cap Petersons 20 anniversary since SP's owns them, liked the shape+blast. Passed on the Sav's, already have a bunch of Eltangs. Not blown away but did like some of the new offerings....but at $500-$700, not quite. Totally relative to personal situation of course.....but once you get above $400 that stops being a no-thought impulse DI purchase (again, speaking only relative to me). While I almost pulled the trigger on one....what $500+ buys me in my other vices is a bit more attractive.

View attachment 33831

D'oh you're right, I forgot about the Peterson ones! Those were actually beautiful, and not surprisingly sold out almost immediately.

You guys are probably right, I'm just having a moan because I missed out on the pipes I wanted.

Reactions: BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
A 10/23 hybrid. Italian shops such as Floppy, which seems to have a lot of 10’s, 11’s and 55’s all the time, have had similar ones in various finishes. Casaro in Turin gets a lot of bowl variations on shape 33’s. “Nosewarmers” are kind of polarizing. But if you like the concept of a short thick shank, I have seen them with Dublin bowls, taller almost stacked skinny bowls with saddle bits, brandy shaped bowls, etc. Coppo, his dealers, and presumably enough customers to make it worthwhile, like some variety every now and then.

Reactions: MattRVA and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These are outside my usual price range, but I am always suspicious of POY or special event pipes, on the basis that I'm paying more for the aura than I would for the pipe otherwise. As a customer, I want to be thinking about the pipe and not the greatness of the moment. Marketers are always selling enthusiasm.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just saw the banner for the Castello collaboration today, as far as I'm aware that's the 3rd pipe collaboration collection this year to celebrate SP.com's 20th anniversary: Savenelli and Tom Eltang being the first two.

I have a complaint (more of a moan) and a question.

So again the 2/3 pipes I actually had my eye on in the banner photo is not for sale. Or not listed yet. Or already sold? But aren't sold pipes usually just moved to a grey banner at the bottom of the page? Ok, I'll stop peddling conspiracies here.

I had my eye on two Aristocratica-esque stain jobs and a natural vergin finish pipe, which all were beautiful but I guess not available to commonfolk. The same thing happened when the Tom Eltang line launched. There were 1 or 2 - a natural rusticated finish and a light stain flame grain finish, that were featured in all the banners and advertising photos but was not actually for sale.

Would love to know how these collaborations came about, if anyone knows anything or have a link to further reading to share, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Happy smokes!
For one I don’t want a pipe advertising a websites 20th anniversary. Maybe if it gave you some year long discount at the site but otherwise what’s the advantage??

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun

View attachment 33831

What are your other vices?

I still like knives and used to be into guns before I became a christian and both can get way more expensive.

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun

Lol what's the question/confusion?

I used to be super into guns and owned many and was a member at a very nice gun club and shot a good 500+ rounds a month but then almost two years ago I got saved and became a Christian and so now I'm not into guns anymore and have sold most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.