PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
My ashtray is way too small to accommodate any of my pipes while driving. As a result, I put the pipes in my lap and then forget they are there when I get out of the car. Most of my pipes have huge pits in them now from landing on the pavement. This is not the life I wanted for them. My car is a 2010 Crown Vic Police Interceptor and has no automatic interior lights. I'll rewire to get light for when I open the doors, maybe. I have an idiot light I'm going to stick on the ashtray drawer so I can see where to throw the ashes at night. I also have plenty of holes in the dash for stout screws to affix anything I want to the inside of the car.
I'm thinking of just using a small metal cup with a slot running from the top edge to about the middle. I'll screw that into the dashboard and then set my pipe in it, while the stem rests in the slot facing me. I'm sure there are other Doohickeys you folks use for your pipes in cars, speedboats, airplanes and whatnot. So tell me about, or just show me, your Thingamajigs. :rofl:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Thanks Anthony! That is the kind of thing I am looking for. Now I realize that I have too many different sized bowls for one thing to fit them all. :evil: Sides need to be taller, but, that is a good design and I may make use of it. :worship:

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I got several compartments and useful places to put and secure a pipe.

So luckily dont have to customize the dashboard :)

Jan 8, 2013
I bet you could make something similar out of a sturdy but flexible rubber material (not vulcanite) that you could heat and shape. Being somewhat flexible it could hold different sized pipes snug. Perhaps something like tire rubber or boot and shoe rubber.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I use a metal cigar ashtray that's made to fit in a cup holder. I use softy bits on the two prongs that would hold a cigar. It works great. I've been using it for around 4 years. Here's a link.
https://www.google.com/search?q=car+cigar+ashtray&client=ms-android-verizon&sa=X&biw=412&bih=652&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=simvn&srpd=16636881888965870633&prds=epd:530481910353357031,cdl:1,cid:1484362625378145251&ved=0ahUKEwipv9Lyqt_WAhXGyFQKHYu0DQgQgTYI7gQ

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Friend of mine glued a baby shoe on the dashboard, and serves a damn find work for holding a pipe.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
I use a thing called a cigar bobken I bought a while back from

Cigar Int. Take the top off and any pipe I'm using fits inside the ash reservoir. I think I paid $7.00.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Thanks for all the good ideas and links, fellas. I think I have found a solution and will post pics later. :puffy:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
While reading Anthony's post I remembered a pipe seller who had pipe stands made from strips of leather. I adapted the idea, and using an old belt which had broken, came up with a solution that is both simple and effective. The first picture is my dashboard with some screws in some of the holes to figure how much room and potential there was. The second picture is a simple loop for holding an empty pipe. The third picture is two pipe holders I'll use, one of which can hold a burning or full pipe. The last picture is said holders holding a couple pipes. I can see that I have the option to add more and better holders as I need or want. Thanks folks for helping me brainstorm and showing all the wonderful stuff I can get in the future for the car. It is MOST appreciated. :puffy:

hpim4608-600x447.jpg

hpim4609-600x447.jpg

hpim4612-600x447.jpg

hpim4611-600x447.jpg

Thanks again for all your input !! :clap:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
OK, you guys have done it again. Look up Kydex. It is a heat forming plastic that is commonly used to make holsters and knife cases. It is very easy to form and not too expensive. I have some sheets I bought years ago, must find them and test them for making pipe holders.
Also, keep an open mind. Years ago I had a friend who solved the issue of getting rid of empty beer cans from his car. (Ozark hillbilly you understand) His old car was rusty and there were holes rusted through the floor in front of the back seat. To get rid of an empty beer can, just toss the can over the front seat back, into the floor behind it. Out it goes through the holes in the floor. Viola!
He did survive the fire that his ex set when she found him sleeping in that car beside the highway. He woke up in time to exit... 8O

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A ceramic votive candle holder pushed into the small cup compartment lets me rest the pipe upside down. The side passenger sear is, sadly, always empty, so I leave my one pipe carrier, where I keep extra tobacco and lighter and tool rests there; it's too big an object to avoid my gropping hand...wait a minute, we were talking about pipes, weren't we?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Crown Vic P71 Interceptors are one of the best or the very best U.S make sedans during the last 20-30years-sadly they dropped this model from their model lines,I'd happily have one ordered here unless there weren't present our huge import taxes and shipping fees for newer cars,insted I got cadillac,a tremendous gas guzzler..

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You probably know the Crown Victoria until recently was the car of choice among police departments, the souped up ones, that is. Don't know why the PO

Icy changed, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.