PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Apparently I'm now a bronze member. What do you get for that?
8fb4da21-dbcb-4a3f-a85f-489707eee78d_1.a968714b96662fd12f11f48d4f648c47.jpeg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
There's a thread floating around here somewhere about what it all means. Apparently, nothing. Kitsch. There is some hard-to-obtain silver level, if memory serves, that will get you a small discount, but you have to spend a lot with them and then I believe they just wipe your points out every so often and send you back to square one.

Reactions: cohibajoe

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The main thing is the 5/10/15% off all pipes discount with bronze/silver/gold. Gold is a huge undertaking and assigned manually apparently.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I think the rank system is mainly there to make you spend more being agitated you haven't hit gold.
It's all customer raz-ma-taz and has a few minor perks....inoffensive at worst and mildly beneficial at best. And by all logic it should drive no consumer decision....but it works its little dopamine mouse-wheel magic and I look each time to see if I've gone gold. I have never spent more because of it.....but I'll be honest and say if it's a 50/50 oppty. between SP and another site I buy at SP and look to see if I've hit gold.

I'd have to check, but in last 14 months or so, with a few of the high-end pipes I've bought, I'm at or just above 5 figures spent. And it totally shouldn't matter by any logical metric.....but TURN GOLD GODDAMIT.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I think the rank system is mainly there to make you spend more being agitated you haven't hit gold.
It's all customer raz-ma-taz and has a few minor perks....inoffensive at worst and mildly beneficial at best. And by all logic it should drive no consumer decision....but it works its little dopamine mouse-wheel magic and I look each time to see if I've gone gold. I have never spent more because of it.....but I'll be honest and say if it's a 50/50 oppty. between SP and another site I buy at SP and look to see if I've hit gold.

I'd have to check, but in last 14 months or so, with a few of the high-end pipes I've bought, I'm at or just above 5 figures spent. And it totally shouldn't matter by any logical metric.....but TURN GOLD GODDAMIT.
Yowsa, that's some spending. Even though what I spent today on the 2 Peterson pipes is more than I've spent in a year on pipes before today, it was still less than the cost of 1 new Dunhill or most artisan pipes.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Didn’t know it until a thread a few months ago, but there are badges, too (more of a whimsical thing, I guess), and then these pie charts (or are we forced to call them “circle graphs” these days?) that show your pipe and tobacco buying history.
F9BD9985-88BB-46D5-A956-25FE54E5B9FF.jpg
37E00BAC-281E-4B7F-8B83-F1BB3ABF7550.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.