PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
On a rainy Saturday afternoon, I decided to watch an old 1950s science fiction flick, It Came From Outer Space. I know, this does't have anything to do with smoking in the rain. But a few entries here note that the pipe can be smoked upside down. The main character in the movie routinely puts his pipe in his mouth upside down. The movie takes place in the desert, so I don't think rain is the motivation. Was this at anytime customary or fashionable? Just curious.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
On a rainy Saturday afternoon, I decided to watch an old 1950s science fiction flick, It Came From Outer Space. I know, this does't have anything to do with smoking in the rain. But a few entries here note that the pipe can be smoked upside down. The main character in the movie routinely puts his pipe in his mouth upside down. The movie takes place in the desert, so I don't think rain is the motivation. Was this at anytime customary or fashionable? Just curious.
I suspect the upside down pipe in that film was simply used as a “prop” to have the viewer know the fellow was one of those “odd”, “eccentric”, “quirky” scientist sorts of fellows.... as opposed to regular pipe smokers and even the rare, but occasionally seen “normal” scientist.

This was and to a degree still is the way “crazy” scientists have been portrayed throughout time. As a scientist myself, I can recognize (and sometimes even “portray”) the type.... my wife assures me often that I inadvertently do so. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think the biggest fear of hurting a pipe by smoking it in the rain would be if you smoked really super hot. O.k. the only time I've seen that problem is with people who could finish a large bowl in 20 minutes. Unless that's you I wouldn't worry about a little rain.
The pipe's smoking so hot that the falling rain evaporates before it hits the bowl. ?

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
Is the main character a real "character"? It seems simply odd to do it except in rain. Maybe to keep out bird droppings? :)
Yeah, he's the "astronomer" who discovers the nasty aliens who arrived to eat our brains. Well, actually, they aren't all that bad...

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I suspect the upside down pipe in that film was simply used as a “prop” to have the viewer know the fellow was one of those “odd”, “eccentric”, “quirky” scientist sorts of fellows.... as opposed to regular pipe smokers and even the rare, but occasionally seen “normal” scientist.

This was and to a degree still is the way “crazy” scientists have been portrayed throughout time. As a scientist myself, I can recognize (and sometimes even “portray”) the type.... my wife assures me often that I inadvertently do so. ?
As a crazy scientist myself, I resemble that remark. My wife has the same opinion of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.