PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Hello all,
The weather in West Michigan has been very strange these last few weeks. We were hit with a ton of snow out of the blue and it lasted for a solid week and a half to two weeks. Then, the snow just melted away. It's windy and freezing outside, literally freezing as the water in the bird bath has turned to ice again. I smoke exclusively outside or in the garage and I have to say, it's miserable to be cold when you're trying to relax!
Who else is braving the cold for a puff? Any specific blend worth getting bundled up for? Any tips besides wearing a bear pelt, using a wind cap, and clinging to a space heater? Haha!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've finally (mostly) fought off the upper respiratory crud that i came down with last month, just in time for the weather to dip into sub-freezing temps. So no, I don't plan to try smoking outside this week. We'll see if the weather cooperates for the weekend...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Stories like that make me glad that the lady of the house doesn't mind indoor pipe smoking. My cigars are another matter. :crying:

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Here in upstate NY the weather has been cold and snow. I smoke in the garage. I just bundle up.

chaplainmike

Lurker
Oct 7, 2013
Spent last year in Cleveland and it was misserable. Layered on as much clothing as I could and sat in the three seasons room (wasn't built for winter season). Made sure I had hot coffee, hot chocolate, or adult spirit to ward off the cold. Now in Northern California some cold and rain right now, but I will muddle through.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Phred, you and I got sick around the same time if I recall! I probably got it from you with all the time I've been spending on here, haha. I'm glad you're feeling better. I've been on antibiotics for 13 days and had only been puffing when I felt like I could get away with it. Here's to hoping for a warmer weekend and better health!
ChasingEmbers, you're a lucky man being allowed to smoke in the house.
IndianaFrank, I've heard all sorts of winter horror stories about NY this year. You guys got hit around the same time that we did, but much worse. Around 70 inches of snow in some places I heard. I saw on the news that 10 people had died from snow causing roofs to collapse. What a terrible way to go out. I've also heard stories from friends living in Buffalo, who were stranded on the side of the road and who had to take shelter at nearby homes until the weather got better so that they could get home from work.
ChaplainMike, sounds like you've got a pretty good set up going! A hot drink or a spirit is a good idea.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I was in Scotland last month for a couple weeks and let me tell you.... It is almost impossible to smoke a pipe in that country (outside). With sideways rain and 60 mph winds as the norm, I just could not get a good smoke in. Like you said, I guess just stay in that garage with your space heater and "enjoy"! haha good luck my friend. It is 60 degrees here today and sunny.. Not to rub it in. But I guess I am lucky when it comes to good pipe weather.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If I had to bundle up and go outside in the frigid air or sit in a cold garage simply to light up a bowl I wouldn't even bother. That, and aside from the fact that cold air diminishes the taste of tobacco so what's the sense. However, when it's nice outside I'll always take advantage of it and smoke on the front porch. Gotta say... I really empathize with those that can't smoke in the comfort of their own home. :wink:

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I only don't smoke in the house because of young children. I grew up with cigarette smokers for parents and remember kids teasing me about smelling like smoke so I don't do it so my kids don't have to put up with it. That said, I usually smoke in my truck on my 30 min commute to or from work. I find it's good enough to make it thru the winter time but wish I could still go to tobacconists and smoke in the lounges...stupid state of Nebraska and their smoking ban.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
...stupid state of Nebraska and their smoking ban.
Believe me, it's not just Nebraska. However, and I know I'll get some heat on this, but I can somewhat understand some of the relatively new restrictions on smoking in public places (I'm referring to indoors here). After all, you don't wish to expose your family to smoke, so why expose others (children) to it in restaurants, etc. As for some of the outlandish restrictions on smoking when outside in various areas is a whole different matter and beyond absurd.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I am only referring to the ban they just recently imposed for tobacconist and cigar lounges that were previously exempt. The other is acceptable and understandable. Why would children be in a cigar bar or a tobacconist? Better yet why would a non-smoker apply to work a such an establishment? The latter being the reason for the removal of the exemption for cigar lounges and tobacconists.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Mephistopheles: I grew up in Muskegon and have smoked plenty of pipes on the pier there. You walk out almost to the lighthouse, following the Roman numerals in the cement, and when you get to IV, look to your right. There is a great rock to sit on there. Try it out.
Now I live in West Montana, and as long as I'm walking the dog and it's not windy, I can smoke until it gets below 5 or 10F. You just have to keep moving. It helps if the sun's out. For sitting around, it's got to be 30 or better.

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
There is an article in the site that you might find useful smoking outside in Minnisota

Personally, I've never lived in an extreme environment so I can't imagine what it's like to live in such a place, let along enjoying tobacco. Anyway, to those about to freeze (and keep smoking their pipes), I salute you!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I smoke mostly outside as my gf has banned smoking in the house from the start. I smoke outside all year round when at home, rain, sleet, snow or sun, hot as hell or cold as a witches titty. I layer the clothes accordingly and have a decent tolerance for the cold.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I really want to be able to smoke and enjoy the flavor in a relaxed indoor environment. I am going to seek out a used indoor air purifier, such as a Honeywell or similar, an ask the landlord if he would approve it for indoor smoking. Even if it was only in the back room (computer and craft room) it would be awesome.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Also smoke in my Garage, bundled up if needed. If not too cold, I will open the door a little bit or halfway. I found some old wingback chairs on Craigslist for $40 each, so it's somewhat comfortable. Much better than the lawn chairs and/or milk crates I used to sit on. Also have a radio in there for some tunes while puffing away.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My garage is insulated and I have a big space heater, so it stays relatively comfortable in a sweatshirt. Smoking outside below 50 degrees isn't much fun and I generally avoid it. I travel a lot and early on, I'd carry my pipe all year long, braving cold/sleet etc. outside a hotel. Now, it's just not worth the effort to be miserable. So, unless I know I'll be near a cigar/pipe lounge, I just leave the pipe at home until Spring time.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
New England (Connecticut) weather can be a bit on the harsh side also. I find that if I drive with my sun roof open and a side window cracked, I can get enough airflow in the car that the smoke isn't noticed. Oh the things we smokers have to do! On the other hand, I'm a very luck man in that several years ago my wife and sons gave me a man cave for Father's Day. It has a desk, a recliner, a television, and a very effective air cleaner.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
When I lived in Anchorage, non-vehicular outdoor smoking was usually done whilst walking. Quite pleasant. Pack a huge bowl and walk about for an hour, hour and a half....

Here in coastal NC I've been trying my best to get used to the (bi) polar weather lately. At work, smoking indoors is not only allowed but encouraged. At home, if the weather is funky, I usually check with the kid and crack open the window in the kitchen/dining area for airflow, then use a Lampe Berger for the smell ( I have always despised the smell of ANYTHING in the house ).

But I will have a pipe outdoors in any weather; sometimes not a full enjoyable one....

Status
Not open for further replies.