PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
I was in a small town west of Fort Worth this weekend and went to a local restaurant. And those sweet three words were spoken to me by the pretty hostess, "smoking or non?". I was flabbergasted. Apparently Texas does not have a state wide smoking ban in restaurants and bars. I got to enjoy a true pleasure lost to most. Having a nice meal while periodically being able to pick up a pipe and puff for a bit. Amazing. So glad I moved from California this year.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You will be asked the same question upon entering the most of the cafes/restaurants here in Baku - Azerbaijan. If nobody asks that, then you can smoke. Sounds like the States in the 60s, right?

Alabama also does not have a statewide ban on smoking anywhere. But, some cities, like Birmingham and Huntsville do. However, chain restaurants still enforce company policies regarding smoking, except you can always ask. I frequently smoke in Starbucks and some chain steakhouses that woud normally not allow you to smoke. I just politely ask, and as long as I let them know that it is not cigarettes, they are usually fine with it. I have only been told a few times that I could not. Even places where ashtrays are obviously placed on the table for smoking, I will ask. This is a very polite state, until someone seems to take advantage of something. I would merely inform all smokers visiting our state to try their best to be polite and considerate. We don't want to lose what we have, and you'll meet much more friendly service if you do.
People tend to smile when they hear that you want to smoke a pipe, and they're excited to get the opportunity to smell pipe smoke. I might warn against smoking latakias or other more obnoxious tobaccos. Please the crowd, so to speak.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Had a dozen over easy eggs, bacon, and a hashbrown at my local Waffle House last night. Smoked a bowl of Stonehenge Flake after my meal. Some places are still smoker friendly.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I won't eat in a restaurant that has cigarette smoke in the air. Gross.
I don't find it a hardship that I can't smoke a bowl after a meal in a restaurant. I can wait five minutes to pay the check and get out of there.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
You ate a dozen eggs?
Hey, the Captain eats what he likes! Although I must say, I have done about the same at home. Never ate more than what typically comes with a combo at the WH.
On the subject of the smoking bans, North Carolina is a little more than strict. I still smoke my pipe where and when I want, just haven't seen any places other than designated cigar bars and such in which you can do it. Maybe some of the old hole in the wall establishments might let you, but they're still in the realm of possibility of receiving a fine if "food and drink are prepared there".
SmokeFreeNC: The Law: An Act To Prohibit Smoking in Certain Public Places and Certain Places of Employment

North Carolina’s Smoke-Free Restaurants and Bars Law was passed by the N.C. General Assembly and signed by the Governor in May, 2009, with an effective date of January 2, 2010.
The law requires enclosed areas of almost all restaurants and bars to be smoke-free effective January 2, 2010. Smoking is also banned in enclosed areas of hotels, motels, and inns, if food and drink are prepared there.
Smoking is permitted in: twenty percent (20%) of guest rooms in lodging establishments; cigar bars that meet specific requirements; private clubs - country clubs or organizations with selected membership - which are operated by the membership, have non-profit status, and provide restricted food and lodging services; establishments that are exempt from the state's sanitation laws.
If you observe or note a possible violation, please notify the owner or manager of the establishment. They are responsible for compliance and are required to direct a person who is smoking to extinguish the lighted tobacco product.
Since this law went into effect on January 2, 2010, if you encounter a violation you can now file a complaint online or by telephone.
Contact information for health departments can be found on the web site for the North Carolina Association of Local Health Directors. Ultimately, businesses that are not following the smoke-free law may be issued warnings and/or fines for violating the law more than two times.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You can smoke in bars in Las Vegas (Bar Owner Sets Their Own Rules) and I was recently in one that I've been to before and I lit my pipe and started to just unwind. The barkeep came over and told me that ONLY cigarette smoking was allowed. I paid my bill and left..... remembering to never go back there.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Cosmic, I'm not sure where you're visiting in Birmingham but the vast majority of restaurants (I haven't seen a one that allows smoking in the past two years) in and around Birmingham are no smoking of any kind unless they have an outside area. That would include Hoover, Trussville, Vestavia and what's off 280. Now I don't know about places a little further out like Helena, Bessemer, Alabaster, etc.. There is one bar I found in Hoover that does allow pipe/cigar smoking (Pub 601 just a block west of 31 and Valleydale). Other than some dive like Quality Inn, I've found no hotels in the Greater Birmingham Area that allow smoking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A dozen eggs? What are you trying to do?
Trying to keep from losing weight. I count calories, but I always go for the highest calories on the menu. 0% body fat and my LDL never goes above 10mg. I'm always eating.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Duane, do you have a hole in your shoe?
Given the deterioration of my health due to my own second-hand smoke I certainly understand smoking bans, but. . .there's such satisfaction in being able to have a smoke, especially after a good meal. I smoked at my tobacconist's, in the car and at home so restrictions didn't much affect me.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not to derail the thread at all, but Duane reminds me of Mr. Strong
20120802-124751.jpg

Hoosier, you probably missed my second sentence, where I mentioned Birmingham. All of those cities you listed are Jefferson County/Birmingham Metro Area, under the same laws.
You mean Pub 261, at the intersection of 31, Valleydale/HW261. That is just down the road from me. :) If you drive on down that same road less than five miles there is a cigar bar. It is right next to my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.