PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I've decided I need to find a smoking jacket for my "pipe time". Something about the image of myself in a fancy leather chair, wearing an ugly paisley jacket, and smoking my pipe in front of a fireplace just amuses the heck out of me. I think the tackier it is, the more I"m going to enjoy it. Does anybody else own and regularly wear one?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Anything with wool in it, it's one of the best natural fire-resistant materials out there and it's black.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My smoking jacket is a pull-over fleece. Which hangs in the mudroom when not in use. Helps a lot in keeping the odor down.
I don't know of any sources... maybe give Hugh Hefner a call? I heard he quit pipes, maybe he'll give you one of his old ones. :puffy:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I would say go to Goodwill and find a Suit Jacket that is oversized on you and turn it inside out. A lot times, older jackets have some interesting liners.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
@jonahtke: Most certainly once you have picked out your finery and are enjoying it you must post up a picture for us.
My smoking jacket is a wool hunting coat. Cozy warm and as Eric says -Flame resistant.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I somehow came across a link for some outrageous smoking jackets a while ago. They were pretty expensive (came from some small and really "out-there" clothing place, but are actually pretty damn cool. I think it'd take balls to wear it though, Lol!
Reversable Smoking Jackets
hof16.jpg

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
I do, in fact I have an original silk quilted smoking jacket that dates to the early 1930's. It’s in the oriental style and is unbelievably comfortable. You can find some really nice vintage models in great condition online from time to time. I paid only $75 for it, and it’s in mint condition--worth every penny.
Sean Lamb

"You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within. Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger" (J.R.R.T)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
If you're handy with a sewing machine, Folkwear patterns has a 1920's smoking jacket pattern with the shawl collar and belt. It's on my list of "someday" projects - I'm starting with a smoking hat, which is much easier for a beginning sewer.
I actually purchased a field jacket (M-65 copy by Alpha) from a local army surplus store as a "smoking jacket", since I do most of my smoking on the front or back stoop, and it won't be warm enough to do it in shirtsleeves for another couple of months around here. Plus, there are plenty of pockets - one for a pipe, one for a tobacco pouch and some pipe cleaners, one for matches and Czech tool, and one left over for a paperback or my Kindle...

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
That's a neat idea phred to make your own from the old school patterns.
Like you say pockets are a must. I always go out with my smartphone and lighter, tamper, etc. and it's nice to have seperate pockets to keep things from banging around together.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I personally have had a thing for plaid jackets way before I started smoking and luckily had plenty to choose from when I needed one. I now have a dedicated smoking jacket that is 100% Acrylic which I don't see how is possible, I always thought acrylic was like plastic? Anyways as already mentioned go to a goodwill or thrift store it will be cheap and it's good to give a new use to an old item. While your there look or a pipe you can refurbish you might get lucky ;)

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I also have a pull-over fleece I change into when smoking. It has several holes burned into it from previous adventures such as escaping rogue Virginia flake embers. :oops:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm actually considering making a smoking waistcoat/vest for any Steampunk outings that allow for pipe smoking (say, a second annual cruise next year...), with loops and pockets for several pipes, tobacco pouches/tins, matches/lighter, cleaners, pipe tools, etc. The 1920's style is based on earlier Victorian-era affectations (Persian/Turkish style outer coats and the tarboosh-style hat that predates the fez), but if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing... :puffpipe:
Cynyr - I used to wear an M-65 field jacket as a shooting jacket, back when I was teaching basic marksmanship to Boy Scouts. Made a great winter coat for many years, until I had to change it out for something else for some reason (possibly weight gain - not as skinny as I used to be). It's nice to have one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.