PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife gave me a real old time smoking jacket with the paisley-like pattern and sash. I wear it from time to time, but since a lot of my smoking is slid in between other activities, and I smoke a lot of intermittent bowls, I don't wear it much. They were meant to absorb the smell of tobacco smoke (as pointed out in earlier posts) and were part of a smoking ritual, often where household tasks were done by "staff," and that doesn't exactly fit my habits. If someone showed up to help me dress or fix us tea, I'd assume we were being robbed.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
My head is about to explode! Those british upper class fancy shmancy things just make my brain scream dirty jokes and obscenities at light speed.
You should see Cambridge/Oxford students at the days of the May Balls: May/June weekend parties where the ticket cost an absurd amount for a poor foreign student like me, on top of having to rent a tux or gown to attend, usually the total cost would be upwards of £500. The fun part of it is seeing them passed out on the grass on Monday morning, often in their own vomit.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and edger

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
You should see Cambridge/Oxford students at the days of the May Balls: May/June weekend parties where the ticket cost an absurd amount for a poor foreign student like me, on top of having to rent a tux or gown to attend, usually the total cost would be upwards of £500. The fun part of it is seeing them passed out on the grass on Monday morning, often in their own vomit.
But it's educated, upper class vomit ?

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
94503B0B-63EC-467A-ACF3-688253F493BF.jpeg
We must not forget the M65 US Army issued smoking jacket. This was nothing more than the cold weather liner for the field jacket. Ok…now I need to find mine. Who got me digging through my garage?!!

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
While living and working in Mexico, I became aware that other cultures use 'smoking' as a generic term for what most of us in the US would call a tuxedo jacket, and to distinguish this from the type of formal wear many call 'tails.' I used both regularly in my line of work back then.
Here's an interesting article about the smoking jacket:

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72