PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I had the same idea, but you should go for a bespoke one from Savile Row if you truly would like to shine.

Henry_Poole_SMoking_Jacket_by_Torsten_Grunwald.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Generally, I smoke in a hoodie with front pockets to keep various items in (like a lighter, tamper, cough drops).

However, I did purchase a smoking jacket from Cup o Joe's on clearance for a price that was hard to pass up in my size (I'm a large American).

I haven't worn it yet, but the jacket is meant for cigar night or if I'm feeling fancy. A sports coat at Salvation Army or Hugh Hefner Halloween costume would have been slightly cheaper, but not have the same over the top design.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
The original idea of a gentleman's smoking jacket was to cover ones clothes with a garment of heavy material, such as velvet or heavy silk, in an attempt to keep smoke odors out of the clothes. I don't believe it was ever very successful at that, so the use of smoking jackets simply became the fashion.
In my case, since I only smoke outside, I use my old mouth eaten high school letter sweater in cool weather. In warm weather, I simply don't worry about it.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I wear a jacket and hat because my wife hates the smell of smoke. She isn’t shy about expressing it either. She’s got the odor sensitivity of a pregnant woman.

I don’t smoke very often. Just started last year, 1-2 per month or less in winter. I expect it to pick up in the summer. So my “smoking ritual” is probably more fiddly than practical for you “real” pipe smokers.

I try to wear a sacrificial outer layer:
  • I wore a wool coat and winter hat last night because it was 45° F. Thinking I might get a wool smoking blanket…
  • I wear a baseball cap and light outer layer when it is warmer.
When I smoke I usually spend more than 1/2 the bowl sitting in the garage with the door open, reading a book. Last night it was two bowls so I could finish my book.

When I come in: I take off the jacket and hat, wash my face and/or apply a little sandalwood beard oil, and brush teeth/tongue. She hasn’t commented yet about lingering smell on me (except 2-3x when I had the freshly used the pipe in the pocket of my jeans).

i’m curious about hiding the smell so I’ve sort of requested that she to actively complain about it.

The ritual seems to be working. Got a few kisses with no complaints of smoke.
Smoke is all I can taste right now though… (not complaining)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Hefner appears to be wearing a "dressing" gown, as he's wearing his "jammies", one of his affectations, aimed at the thousands of acne marked teen aged boys, who only read the articles in the magazine. A smoking jacket and the cap were simply to shield a man's clothes and hair from the smoke, thereby minimizing any offensive reek. The "reek" was the reason considerate males smoked in clubs, pubs, and designated rooms in the house. Holmes was certainly not "upper class" by any stretch of the imagination yet, he protected his clothes. But, class is such an easy target for the envious. Many smokers here, I being one, simply don't care if feathers get ruffled because I reek but, the odor ignores social class boundaries. Even the poorest amongst us can reek as may the richest cigar or pipe smoker. :sher: