PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Has anyone bought a smoking jacket that is readily available?

I'm curious to know how your experience was. I'm surprised that places like smoking pipes don't offer them.

I wouldn't want one with their logo or any branding on it, that's for sure. Just thought it'd be something a larger retailer would keep in stock. Where is a high quality smoking jacket to be found these days?

Reactions: Casual and kurtbob

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Here's some.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia

I always wanted to look like Hugh Hefner! He always had that together but just woke up look :ROFLMAO:

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Not to be too much of a Buzz Killington here: originally the smoking jacket was to protect your nice clothes from ash and tobacco odor. They were often made of velvet to absorb the odors. A gentleman would remove his suit coat and put this on to protect his shirt and tie. If ya ain’t wearing shirts and ties... what’s the point? That said, I inherited one from dad, they are pretty cool.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Smokies- I think we're all on board with what a smoking jacket is for. I take it you're a sweatpants and running shoes kind of guy. Nothing wrong with that.

I have also used google to have a look at what is out there, but what I was really looking for was some direct experience from actual users. Seemed like this would be the most likely source for real world experience.

A lot of it looks like costume wear, which unfortunately, is often very low quality.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife found an estate smoking jacket for me at Christmas, online somewhere. It is very 1930's looking, and I make a point of wearing it indoors. It's not something you want to wear out and around, since it is made for indoors and at home. I keep it hanging up where it can be seen, since it is colorful and interesting looking. When I wear it, I feel as if I should be spouting dialogue a mile a minute, like Fred Astair in a romantic comedy, although I achieve this only in my imagination. Sometimes I wear it to supper. It's part of the old style of dress when men wore a jacket and tie to go hunting and a suit and tie around the house. I like the idea of dressing up a little these days, so I don't end up stuck in sweat pants and a t-shirt. My grandpa used to wear a suit to Sunday dinner, but I don't think he had a smoking jacket, though he smoked a pipe, as did my dad, and an uncle.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Even at the best of quality, a smoking jacket looks a bit too trick or treat and gauche for this day and age. Were I inclined to purchase clothing for smoking, I would get a nice dress jacket and reserve it for the occasion.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ok, she's little old now, but she was pretty hot when I was younger.
Have you seen what Cindy Lou Whooo grew into?

2a3fef033fb3627b97f103a8e4b4c396.jpg

Edit: Just realized I rhymed referring to a Dr. Seuss character.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I once had a black mohair smoking jacket / sport coat that was quite formal. I joined a private cigar club & lounge that required a coat, no jeans, no vaping or cigarettes allowed. Cocktail waitresses wore vintage gowns, had a baby grand piano and usually had jazz lounge music with the drinks from a private closed bar. Totally poncey and snooty joint. Loved it, lol. It was such an anachronism. Old dudes and us younger pre-hipsters (this was early 90s) reading newspapers and getting lit on martinis and fat cigars. Living large. Time and a place, but damn it was fun.

Still have the jacket but the damn thing shrunk in the closet and it doesn’t fit anymore. ?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Not to be too much of a Buzz Killington here: originally the smoking jacket was to protect your nice clothes from ash and tobacco odor. They were often made of velvet to absorb the odors. A gentleman would remove his suit coat and put this on to protect his shirt and tie. If ya ain’t wearing shirts and ties... what’s the point? That said, I inherited one from dad, they are pretty cool.
I have several t-shirts near & dear to me. Besides, it pretty much guarantees elevation to "upwardly mobile" status.

Reactions: BROBS