PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Gentlemen, do you have a way to smoke indoors without smelling up the place?

I find winter is too long for me to go without the pipe and summer is very short in Quebec(((

Reactions: addamsruspipe

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
sablebrush pointed out that secondhand smoke is a danger not only to others but also to the smoker. I spent the last 16 months smoking in a bathroom and I'm quit 75 days.
There is no getting rid of the smell other than, I think, an effective exhaust.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I wish! Sadly, it's not easy and the smell can never be fully cleared. This is coming from someone who was previously married to a real estate agent. I know that smoking in a house decreases the resale value by a significant amount. One option is the garage with a heater. Or, if you the fortune of a backyard, then a Man-Shed with a heater is wonderful. One of my smoking buddies built a wonderful one room shed and pimped it out with air conditioning and a heater and electricity. It is sweet!
Last winter I actually bought an ice fishing tent/house at Bass Pro. I put it out on my deck with a space heater and it worked great! I was able to enjoy my pipe without the wind (oh the darn wind is the big problem for a pipe smoker).

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I've seen air purifiers advertised online for smoking cigars inside, I guess they would work well for pipes too but I've never tried them. They are rather expensive from what I've seen too.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’ve tried ALL purifiers! Spent mucho $ trying. They don’t work. The one thing that does work is what Brian Levine discusses in the radio show 2 or 3 weeks ago, that is a massive high speed ventilation fan. When I buy a new house I am going to install one and finally have a smoking den.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
A few bowls spread out over time is fine. Long term though will stink up the place. Remember that when you have to sell your house it will most likely be to a non pipe smoker

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm restricting myself to one room- where the TVs are mostly, and the smallest bedroom. So, my heirs may take a small hit when they disclose that "an old curmudgeon enjoyed a few bowls in that room, which we've fumigated and had blessed and hallowed by three priests."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You'll get used to the reek of stale smoke in the drapes, paint, carpet, etc. It's nothing different than particles which adhere to your hair, skin and clothes. You can spend a bunch of moneys for fans, etc. but, the house will still reek. The smell is just part and parcel of smoking, not the cleanest of the many wee vices we enjoy.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Only smoke in the den with a box fan in the window always on throughout the day. Clears smoke out pretty well. Now, my wife smoking cigarettes in the living room without such is another story, though at least there is no carpeting to contend with where we do our smoking.

jonas

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
I’ll smoke one bowl during lunch sometimes. Just open a window and turn on the a/c, the smell is always gone by the time the wife gets home.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I know. It's a fault.
Folks complaining about the smell of stale smoke are some of the same people who love a well manicured yard, but hate the noise of the mower, love fishing but refuse to clean them, watch NASCAR with the sound off because, "It's too loud!", enjoys a good riot but detests the gas or getting shot, spends big bucks for front row seating and then complains because the boxers' sweat got all over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.