PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
This may have been discussed before but I've wondered if most still smoke indoors. For many years I smoked inside and had to paint the ceilings every few years and clean the refrigerator often as it had a brownish tint from smoking indoors. I haven't smoked anything inside in over ten years but it seems the most peaceful place to smoke a pipe is inside. My Corgi has an allergic reaction to smoke and sneezes a lot if he gets a whiff of smoke when we're outside so, I'm a bit hesitant to smoke indoors.
Coming back to the pipe after a long time I haven't received all my "paraphernalia" yet and this thought has been going through my mind. Comments would be appreciated.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Only smoke outdoors and ocassionally in my truck if I can have the windows down.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Other than in my truck when driving, I absolutely hate smoking outdoors. I feel like the outside breeze makes my smokes (both pipes and cigars) taste off and I wind up losing that experience of being able to fully enjoy the aroma and subtle flavors of the blend.
Most of the time, I smoke in my garage with the door cracked open and a fan to help vent the excess smoke out and keep the air circulating. Of course this gets hard to do in during the summer in Texas, but I make it work. Thankfully it's not too bad out there in the late evenings.
Occasionally I do smoke a pipe in the house, late at night after the kids have gone to bed. My wife has never minded the smell of my pips (English blends included) and I used to smoke inside 100% of the time before we had our first child. I keep it to a minimum though but it is nice to have the option.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've heard the cure for smoking indoors is an air purifier. A number of people have said if you put it right next to you on high it filters out the smoke and doesn't leave the room with a bad smell or anything. I've also heard a good one runs right around $100.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I rarely smoke outdoors. I have my basement den where smoking, drinking and gambling are all encouraged. During the colder months I light a fire in the fireplace and all the pipe smoke goes right up the chimney. In the warmer months a little Febreeze is all that's needed to keep the room from being overly smelly.
LOTPR, I tried a cheap Honeywell air purifier from Target and it seemed to do OK at first, but it never made a huge difference. Perhaps I need to find a bigger, better unit?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Boswells aromatics smell so good that they actually improve the way the room smells, I just love the smell of Berry Cobbler, which is probabley their best room note tobacco that they sell. It also tastes amazing, all of their aromatics have some English qualities to them both in the cool dry way they smoke all the way down and in the robustness of the flavor. Highly recomended for the indoor smoker, they are just out of this world high in quality.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Most often I smoke either outdoors or if I'm doing something in the garage, like casting bullets, I'll smoke in there since it's attached to the house. I'm not too concerned about the smell as pipes are much more soothing to the smell than cigars/cigarettes to me. I have photo enlargements made of canvas in the living room where most of my smoking would be if I did that and I'm not sure how over time it would affect them. I do know you can get wind screens to place over the bowl for outside use in the event of a 10-20 mph wind but I don't know how well they work. No wife, no kids, just me and the dog so it's tempting to do it inside.
An air purifier may be the ticket but I don't know how well they'd work unless you got a large enough unit.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I smoke mostly in my gameroom, have an exhaust fan over the poker table. If I do smoke in the living room, and I do if the kids aren't hanging around, I've got a big air purifier right next to me. No problem.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I don't actually smoke a whole lot, a couple of bowls a day MAX. I smoke at my desk which is at the back of my living room. I turn on my ceiling fan and that seems to disperse it, I do have 2 kids, and I might think about the air purifier for that reason, but honestly, it doesn't seem to really affect them and I don't blow it at them or anything. Everyone in the house seems to think it smells quite nice (certainly better than the dog)

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Not noisy...I think the brand I have is sweet breaze.

@ smokinjoe I have too, when we got this new house I claimed the garage and turned it. My wife calls it the man cave. Too me its just the gameroom/office/bar

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Kabong I'm the same way 1-2 a day, and I'm welcome to smoke 1Q and the like in the living room, but squad leader and such is usually either outside or in the game room. The purifier is just my piece of mind I guess.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Indoors and Outdoors. I might add, I own a painting company, so the re-paints are no big deal for me. I haven't had to re-paint yet though.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Indoors only, in my basement den. I do make sure to have a fan going towards the window, and I keep the floors and walls clean, but no outside for me. If I go a few days without a pipe, you would barely be able to notice any odour down there...

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I feel sure I couldn't go a few days without the pipe or a cigarette. You'd be scraping me off the wall instead of nicotine.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I smoke indoors when I'm off work, (seldom) at night after the kids are in bed. My wife and I sit and have great conversations. But if the weather is nice, I have a recently built patio that we go sit on under the stars.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I guess I differ from most but I only smoke outdoors. My wife and dog seem to be prone to sinus problems. I enjoy sitting out on the back porch in the rocker for a smoke, especially during sunrise and late evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.